Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 0.3.60 Released With Many Fixes, Improvements

Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.60 Released With Many Fixes, Improvements

PipeWire 0.3.60 is out today as the newest update to this software used for managing audio and video streams on Linux. With modern Linux distributions PipeWire is increasingly used now as the replacement to PulseAudio in addition to its video capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like a wonderful release, many thanks to its developers!

I wish Debian will use this by default for all the desktop environments, not only for Gnome as they announced.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Looks like a wonderful release, many thanks to its developers!

I wish Debian will use this by default for all the desktop environments, not only for Gnome as they announced.
      Tbh Gnome users are probably the only ones who can't figure out how to install PipeWire themselves. It's dead simple, it bridges from pulse if needed, I only needed to fiddle with a couple of settings.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Tbh Gnome users are probably the only ones who can't figure out how to install PipeWire themselves. It's dead simple, it bridges from pulse if needed, I only needed to fiddle with a couple of settings.
        🖕
        Regards, GNOME-user

Comment

I am looking forward to the Ethernet AVB support

Comment

settings.
            Gnome users don't know what that is. :P

Comment

I hope the libcamera video backend will become the default soon / get shipped on distros by default. That would enable a bunch of cameras to work - as long as apps use pipewire (optimally through the xdg camera portal so things can be sandboxed).

Comment

Can I update to this on Linux Mint without breaking things? I'm using pipewire from Ubuntu's repository.

Comment

Tbh Gnome users are probably the only ones who can't figure out how to install PipeWire themselves.
                  Or maybe, just maybe, GNOME does extensive CI/CD tests and officially relies on PipeWire for screensharing, so it's guaranteed to work with a modern codebase without much headaches..
                  Last edited by Vermilion; 10 November 2022, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I have been running Pipewire with KDE for close to a year with no issues. Also use Pipewire with i3 with no issues on some older laptops. Seems rock solid to me, at least on Arch.
                    ​​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X