No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.60 Released With Many Fixes, Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transition to pipewire was way too smooth. "Everything" works, even Rocksmith without any fiddling and BT codecs. Great stuff.

Comment

Well, I seem to be the only one who downgraded back to PulseAudio on a mediacenter PC. But I do exist.

The reason for the downgrade is that the PC uses speakers connected to the monitor (which is connected to the PC via DisplayPort), and a USB webcam as a microphone. In this configuration, PipeWire's module-echo-cancel does not work well, while the PulseAudio version does.

Comment

I've been using pipewire on Debian for more than year and a half, no issues whatsoever, i do however, build it on each new release to enable AAC.

Comment

Originally posted by patrakov View Post
          Well, I seem to be the only one who downgraded back to PulseAudio on a mediacenter PC. But I do exist.

The reason for the downgrade is that the PC uses speakers connected to the monitor (which is connected to the PC via DisplayPort), and a USB webcam as a microphone. In this configuration, PipeWire's module-echo-cancel does not work well, while the PulseAudio version does.
          This can be annoying problem with some distributions of missing libraries as well. With debian I flatpak install com.github.wwmm.easyeffects. Yes it flatpak not debian package because the debian package version is missing a library so noise cancel feature cannot work.

Not having arguments between jackaudio and pipewire combined with improved audio stability in my setup with pipewire(no cases of audio going noisely as my setup suffers from with pulseaudio) for me is worth the little extra pain of using flatpak easyeffects to make up for core pipewire weakness at this stage.

So you are not alone with the default Pipewire echo-cancel module being bad. For me its bad but there is a workaround use the easyeffects one by the flatpak version of easyeffects since I am a debian user and the debian version of easyeffects is bad. I do wish the workaround was not required.
          ​

Comment

I've had a blast with Pipewire. Using EasyEffects, which works with PipeWire, I added a bunch of random effects to my voice while on Discord. Usually, I kept it really subtle and gradual until they went quiet like something was wrong. By the time they noticed, my voice was pretty high-pitched and had a slight echo. When my cousin said "okay, what's with the voice?" I lowered it way below my natural voice and said, "I don't know what you're talking about". My Windows friends are a little jealous.

That said, Pipewire also really stable, and I'm glad it's getting further improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Or maybe, just maybe, GNOME does extensive CI/CD tests and officially relies on PipeWire for screensharing, so it's guaranteed to work with a modern codebase without much headaches..
              Like I said, on KDE I switched to PipeWire probably a couple of years ago. Worked like a charm from day 1. So I'm gonna say "extensive CI/CD tests" on behalf of Gnome is not the reason

Comment

pipewire support for controlling camera properties is something I have been waiting for. glad to see it happening, just need to figure out how to utilize it now lol

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's dead simple,[...] needed to fiddle[...]
                  And there you go. Is it dead simple, or did you need to fiddle?

I don't have time to start fiddling. As in, I actually don't. I want the freaking sound to work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
                    [...] I want the freaking sound [...] work properly.
                    Here you go again. Freaking sound or proper working sound?

Comment

Originally posted by thxcv View Post
                      Transition to pipewire was way too smooth. "Everything" works, even Rocksmith without any fiddling and BT codecs. Great stuff.
                      How do you use Rocksmith under Linux? With Wine?

Comment

Working...
                      X