Microsoft .NET 7 Released With Better Linux Support, Improved Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft .NET 7 Released With Better Linux Support, Improved Performance

Phoronix: Microsoft .NET 7 Released With Better Linux Support, Improved Performance

Microsoft on Tuesday released .NET 7 with improved Linux support, better performance, and many new features throughout this Microsoft platform stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no desktop Linux support for MAUI?! Aww, come on.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
      Different kernel versions and configurations, Mir/Wayland/Xorg, different versions of them, various UI toolkit versions (Qt, GTK, wx, etc) and build flags, official and 3rd party GPU drivers, different compositors, different mesa versions and even build flags, ... whatever. Linux UI is complete garbage. Thank stable_api_nonsense.txt and freedom of choice(tm).

OTOH finally my OCD can settle. PowerShell 7 and .NET 7, yay lol.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        Mir/Wayland/Xorg
        Mir is dead, there is no point on supported. Xorg will die, maybe is worth support it, Wayland should be suooported.

various UI toolkit versions (Qt, GTK, wx, etc) and build flags
        ​
        True, but generally with Qt and GTK is enough. AFAIK, there is no DE that use wxWidgets, so you can just ignore it.

official and 3rd party GPU drivers
        ​
        I don't know why this is problematic, does .NET work in lower levels? Doesn't it work with graphic APIs like OpenGL and Vulkan instead of interacting with the drivers directly?

different compositors
        ​
        Same as before, doesn't it work with a toolkit like Qt or GTK? Compositors shouldn't matter that much.

different mesa versions
        ​
        And this is problematic why? Microsft has different WDDM model versions?

Comment

Who wants to run .Net on Linux? It feels like a "sacrilege" to me :}
          Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post
            I've always felt .Net's strength is its tight integration with Office and other Microsoft stuff that doesn't exist on Linux anyway. A plain language for backends is not something the Linux ecosystem is short of.

Comment

various UI toolkit versions (Qt, GTK, wx, etc)

Linux UI is complete garbage.
              What platform doesn't have a wide choice of UI toolkits. All of the ones you mentioned are commonly used on Windows too.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                MAUI is already supported on Linux.
                Maui Project provides a free and open-source modular front-end framework for developing fast and compelling user experiences. Made by Nitrux.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post
                  Me, .NET is amazing!
                  I love it!
                  I use together with VS Code on Linux. It is free, open source software licensed under the MIT License.
                  C# is a great programming language, and .NET is a great platform that is well designed and supports all kinds of things that you might want to do.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I've always felt .Net's strength is its tight integration with Office and other Microsoft stuff that doesn't exist on Linux anyway. A plain language for backends is not something the Linux ecosystem is short of.
                  Oh, I never even thought about any .NET integration in Office and other Microsoft products. I love .NET and software like ASP.NET Core, Entity Framework Core, etc.
                  C# is a great programming language for backends, much better than any other language or ecosystem on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

MAUI is already supported on Linux.
                    https://mauikit.org/
                    He is not referring to the mauikit, but to the maui .net platform https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/do...w=net-maui-7.0

Comment

Working...
                    X