Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core i9 13900K "Raptor Lake" Running Great With Clear Linux, Sizable Wins Over Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i9 13900K "Raptor Lake" Running Great With Clear Linux, Sizable Wins Over Ubuntu

Phoronix: Intel Core i9 13900K "Raptor Lake" Running Great With Clear Linux, Sizable Wins Over Ubuntu

Following my Core i5 13600K and Core i9 13900K Linux reviews for these new Raptor Lake processors, which were carried out under Ubuntu Linux, I've been carrying out my usual follow-up tests like looking at how well these new Intel CPUs are running under other distributions. To little surprise, Intel's own rolling-release Clear Linux distribution can offer some big-time improvements over a stock Ubuntu installation.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let's all ditch Fedora and Ubuntu for clear Linux! Imagine all the apps we could compile. 😱

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
      Let's all ditch Fedora and Ubuntu for clear Linux! Imagine all the apps we could compile. 😱
      That makes no sense. We can compile the same amount of apps on each of them.

Fedora, Ubuntu, Clear, Kali -- They're all the same thing with different compiler flags and software versions. Their only actual differences are software/update management, file system of choice, and other minor nuances that don't change Linux from being Linux.
      Last edited by skeevy420; 07 November 2022, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
        Meet the users where they are. Neither server nor desktop users are likely to be using Clear Linux, but it's a good PoC for performance possibilities.

Comment

Nice!
          I wish that Debian developers would implement in Debian too some of these improvements in Clear Linux.

Comment

7.9% faster overall. Sorry, the average user wouldn't have noticed if someone replaced his Ubuntu with ClearLinux.

Comment

Does anyone here actually run ClearLinux?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Nice!
                I wish that Debian developers would implement in Debian too some of these improvements in Clear Linux.
                Some of the improvements would leave legacy hardware behind, which is an important reason that many distros targeting users have chosen to not to use the Clear Linux compiler settings (enterprise distributions have a much different target audience, and some have been moving the requirements forward).

So the question for the Debian community is do you obsolete older hardware for the best performance on more current hardware? If there is a strong consensus, it can happen.

Comment

You can probably gain much of the improvements from Clear Linux just by configuring Ubuntu to use the performance governor at all times. From an earlier Phoronix article, the default governor seems to represent at least 50% of the performance difference between stock Ubuntu and Clear Linux.

This was noted in the Zen 4 comparison: https://www.phoronix.com/review/zen4-clear-linux

It'd be interesting to see Fedora increase its compiler flags baseline to build for SSE4.2, which should help a little without harming compatibility too much. This would mean dropping support for AMD Phenom and Bulldozer CPUs, but even the lowest-end Celeron (starting from Sandy Bridge) would still be able to run Fedora, unlike an AVX1 requirement.
                  Last edited by Calinou; 07 November 2022, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Is anyone here using Clear Linux in production, or is it just PR for Intel?

Comment

Working...
                    X