Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Development Activity Ticking Up Around Vulkan For Blender

Phoronix: More Development Activity Ticking Up Around Vulkan For Blender

There has long been plans for supporting the Vulkan API with the Blender 3D modelling open-source software but there has been a lack of developers working on it. Fortunately, things are starting to (slowly) come together on Vulkan enablement for Blender...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool!
    Imagine one day where we'll have both Vulkan and Wayland support and possibly 10bit+ colors and HDR support too!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Cool!
      Imagine one day where we'll have both Vulkan and Wayland support and possibly 10bit+ colors and HDR support too!
      That would be awesome!!!!!

Comment

This is just for the viewport, right? Nothing related to using Vulkan compute for Cycles.

Comment

This is indeed viewport. Also there is a Metal backend in the works, so for MacOS it's not likely that they will use MoltenVK.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Cool!
            You may say I'm a dreamer
            But I'm not the only one

Comment

But I love opengl

Comment

Vulkan isn't used at all in Blender? I'm shocked...

So are they running on a proprietary(DX) or aged stack (openGL)? In either case, I'm really shocked that Vulkan wasn't taken in in the past years since 2015...

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
                  This is indeed viewport. Also there is a Metal backend in the works, so for MacOS it's not likely that they will use MoltenVK.
                  Blender *LOVES* wasting resources in proprietary APIs and letting open source ones lag behind. Nothing new.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
                    So are they running on a proprietary(DX) or aged stack (openGL)? In either case, I'm really shocked that Vulkan wasn't taken in in the past years since 2015...
                    AFAK, Blender has been on OpenGL since the very first release. And since Blender is licensed under GPLv2 and is multi-OS, I don't even think it's legally possible for them to ship proprietary Direct3D code.

Regarding "aged" code, in the production industry base things don't move too fast (nor should they). Autodesk's Maya, for instance, is basically the same program today as it was in 2008, and this is not an exaggeration - the program was already really mature all those years ago, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Some big studios today are still on Maya 2012 and they're 100% fine with it.
                    IMO it's better that Blender stuck with "aged" OpenGL for all these years, while being stable, than not as many devs giving Vulkan the attention it deserves and bricking the program "just because" some people can't live with the latest and greatest.

Comment

Working...
                    X