No announcement yet.

LXQt 1.2 Released With Preliminary Wayland Session Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though I'm a KDE Plasma user, I like to see that another Qt based DE gets Wayland support!

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      "Large"?

That shit is more stripped of features than an old 1 button Apple mouse.
      Indeed, but i meant in terms of effort and disruption in the ecosystem, not in mere lines of code and features.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

There is Sway too, although not a full blown DE. Still, this comment of yours, like most others, is just pure FUD.
        That is true with DEs but he does have a point when it comes to writing compositors. Compared to X11 Window Managers, these things are massive undertakings and after 10 years of serious Wayland development, the ecosystem still only really has 3 viable contenders (the rest simply are not production ready).
        • Sway
        • Mutter
        • Kwin

In the early days of X11, we had hundreds of novel WMs. Even more than we have today in fact.

This is potentially an issue for new DEs to appear because it is getting to the point where the compositor is more difficult than the rest of the DE itself.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          So, 14 years after Wayland was penned (10 years for Weston), we should soon have a third DE for it? Amazing speed! Much progress!
          You mean 4th? After GNOME, KDE and Enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            Compared to X11 Window Managers, these things are massive undertakings and after 10 years of serious Wayland development, the ecosystem still only really has 3 viable contenders (the rest simply are not production ready).
            • Sway
            • Mutter
            • Kwin
            Enlightenment's window manager works great on Wayland too.

Comment

Using WLROOTS?

Comment

Very nice to see another DE support Wayland. While the article didn't mention which compositor they're using, I personally hope they decide to support wlroots so they can "cooperate" with other minor DEs out there.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  So, 14 years after Wayland was penned (10 years for Weston), we should soon have a third DE for it? Amazing speed! Much progress!
                  Your scathing sarcasm doesn't help the cause and FYI Wayland is progressing much faster lately and by 2040 should be well supported on all major Linux desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Your scathing sarcasm doesn't help the cause and FYI Wayland is progressing much faster lately and by 2040 should be well supported on all major Linux desktops.
                    32 years after wayland's release, we might finally be able to match x11 feature wise and replace it!

Comment

Originally posted by petete View Post
                      Does it use kwin, something else, or did they roll their own compositor?
                      I think the recommended WM is OpenBox ; at least that’s what I’ve been using with LXQT for several years and it’s been fine!

I don’t care the slightest about Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X