Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel MIC Offloading For Xeon Phi Dropped With GCC 13 Compiler

Phoronix: Intel MIC Offloading For Xeon Phi Dropped With GCC 13 Compiler

On the same day as new GCC compiler patches for next-generation processors coming out for those wares that are more than one year out, the GNU Compiler Collection dropped a remnant from Intel's past: the Many Integrated Core "MIC" architecture support with Xeon Phi for offloading...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This was cool technology for it's time. I bought one on ebay years ago for simulations during graduate school. It was a royal pain to work with, but I keep the hardware just for display purposes now.

Comment

The idea (a huge slab of tiny, simd heavy x86 cores on a wide bus) is still sound for lots of workloads.

Xeon Phi was just ahead of its time, and others (Fujitsu, AMD, SiPearl) are more or less trying the same thing now.
      Last edited by brucethemoose; 04 November 2022, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I own one, 5110P

sad

Comment

There are four lights

Comment

Well dang it, I just picked up three of these for $20 each and was planning to use them to contribute to compiling for the Arch PPC project and just have these cards chugging away. Cri.

(Oversimplification, but yeah figured it would be good to put some old tech to use instead of ending up in the scrapyard)

I mean nothing says I can't just use GCC12 but that will only last so long. (Age old tale of: if you want hold hardware to work, you might need to learn to support it...)
            Last edited by Eirikr1848; 05 November 2022, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X