Intel Clarifies HECI Usage For Arc Graphics' GSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Clarifies HECI Usage For Arc Graphics' GSC

Phoronix: Intel ME-Enabled System Needed For Updating Arc Graphics GSC Firmware

Stemming from the recent discussion of Intel's open-source Linux driver for Arc Graphics not yet running on POWER, another rather interesting support caveat was also raised. It turns out updating the GSC firmware for Arc Graphics hardware currently requires the Intel Management Engine (ME) functionality, which basically limits the graphics card firmware updating in turn to systems with Intel CPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow what an arbitary limitation to push their own platforms / create vendor-lock-in.. Srsly this is a reason for me to never buy Arc GPUs

Maybe someone will just built an emulator to run the ME-Software in a VM? Could backfire for intel, as this would open access to way more pentesting of ME-Software.
    Last edited by Spacefish; 04 November 2022, 06:49 AM.

Comment

As I have seen many people say, "Wah why are you criticizing ARC we need more competition how dare you not praise Intel for giving us an alternative"

Intel is not an alternative, it is a malicious attempt by a hostile corporation who has actively attempted to slow the progress of the entire computing industry to continue their efforts to prevent you from being able to use the very hardware in which you purchased as you see fit. Do not buy or support ARC, it is not good, Intel is not your friend, they do not want you to use their hardware the way you want.

Comment

This is seriously myopic of Intel to curtail AMD hardware owner's interest in their GPU's. That's a significant portion of the bloody market! Does Intel not like money?

Comment

You gotta be kidding me!
          Fuck you Intel with your disgusting junk and spyware!

Comment

I guess this limitation applies on Windows also...? Or do the Windows drivers have something extra?

Comment

So, performance is not great, drivers are not great, no big differentiator from competition (IE: domestic support for SRV-IO) and now to sweeten the deal you can't upgrade the firmware unless you do it from an Intel system.

Who is in charge of the graphics unit making the decisions at intel? This is all pretty stupid getting into the full-retard territory quickly. I will never buy any of those cards now.

Comment

Amazing, Intel is making Nvidia look good. Limiting important functions of your hardware to solely your own platform is extremely shortsighted. Who in their right mind is going to consider Arc when their systems aren't Intel based? Even when you have an Intel system, the prospect of lock in isn't a selling point.

Looks like it will be AMD for the foreseeable future.​

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
                  This is seriously myopic of Intel to curtail AMD hardware owner's interest in their GPU's. That's a significant portion of the bloody market! Does Intel not like money?
                  Maybe they like money too much, but they haven't thought through any possible consequences of their actions. "Now they have to get more Intel gear!" The alternative of eschewing their graphics cards hasn't dawned yet.

Comment

Dear Intel,

vendor lock-in tactics should be applied after market penetration.

Regards,
                    A Lost Potential Customer

Comment

Working...
                    X