Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Announces Radeon RX 7900 XTX / RX 7900 XT Graphics Cards - Linux Driver Support Expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So where's the not-$900 versions

Comment

Well, I am not as easily excited or willing to throw too much money for a toy at these companies. These outrageous price tags need to go away as there is no justification anymore for having these; transport costs went down significantly, also PMIC and other parts are also cheaper and if TSMC wants full utilization of their fabs, they better lower their wafer prices, too. Demand also vanished except of some ultra-enthusiasts. I have my personal target: double the performance of my Vega 56 for the same price (219 EUR - adjusted for inflation that would be 300 EUR). Offer me something compelling or risk yet another bad quarter. I can wait.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
        It’s called the RX 6000 series, I recommend the Intel Arc A770 though since it helps a new player enter the competition or maybe one of those new Chinese GPUs, MTT S80.

Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 03 November 2022, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
          AV1 encoding is supported. AV1 decoding was already available on previous gen. Vainfo on my RX6800XT reports its available for decoding (and it actually works).
          i came to say the same thing. av1 for decoding was already supported with rdna2. my 6900 xt works fine. rdna3 just updates it to support encoding now too.

Comment

Great hardware deserves great software!
            Adrenalin this Adrenalin that, existing features like Radeon Super Resolution, Radeon Boost, Radeon Anti-Lag...
            I agree, but AMD, where's that one on Linux, where's even the smallest and simplest control panel?
            Christmas is coming, 2023 is coming, and here we are again, begging for the simplest control panel for a 1000 dollars card!

I wonder, does at least hardware decoding / encoding works out of the box on Linux, let's say with OBS Studio?
            Or does the computing now works out of the box without wasting our time to install the awful ROCm software?

As for gaming, does these expensive cards let us finally enable SR-IOV an play games in a Windows VM with near native performance and without having the need to have a second GPU?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Christmas is coming, 2023 is coming, and here we are again, begging for the simplest control panel for a 1000 dollars card!
              May I ask what you need a control panel for?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                These outrageous price tags need to go away as there is no justification anymore for having these; transport costs went down significantly, also PMIC and other parts are also cheaper and if TSMC wants full utilization of their fabs, they better lower their wafer prices, too.
                I'm not going to argue that $1k is exactly a good price for a flagship GPU, but here are a few things to consider.
                • AMD and Nvidia likely didn't design their latest-gen GPUs to sell at the pre-pandemic/pre-mining price points. That could mean a higher price floor, no matter how weak demand gets.
                • TSMC N5 is a more complex & therefore expensive process. N6 is a little better.
                • Shipping costs & parts costs are down from the peak, but still significantly elevated vs. pre-pandemic.
                • TSMC is still backlogged.

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                Demand also vanished except of some ultra-enthusiasts. I have my personal target: double the performance of my Vega 56 for the same price (219 EUR - adjusted for inflation that would be 300 EUR). Offer me something compelling or risk yet another bad quarter. I can wait.
                Same, except I'm willing to spend a little more than before, because I recognize that inflation has hit some sectors of the economy more than others - tech being one of them. However, I want a minimum of 2x on basically all parameters, including memory bandwidth. A 12 GB RTX 3080 would meet my requirements, but I'd have to get a decent one for <= $600.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                  Expect AMD to launch mid-range models & below, once inventories of the 6000-series cards clear out. The demand slump seems to have pushed them well into next year.

Basically, they don't want to launch any models that would cause further price-erosion of what they & their board partners still need to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
                    It’s called the RX 6000 series, I recommend the Intel Arc A770 though since it helps a new player enter the competition
                    Yeah, if it meets your needs.

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
                    or maybe one of those new Chinese GPUs, MTT S80.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/mo...s-chunxiao-gpu
                    ...unless you care about little things like having drivers, not to mention good ones.

I think Chinese GPUs will become relevant in the near future, but their time has not yet arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim85 View Post

May I ask what you need a control panel for?
                      For the same reasons a Windows user needs it for!
                      Why should I be happy only with the 2 options provided by the desktop environment in its control panel?
                      Windows users have too in their native control panel to change the resolution and refresh rate, like on Linux, but AMD has also created a dedicated control panel for the GPU where they can see the GPU status, temperatures, usages, fan speeds, display info, link speeds, enable / disable the Zero-RPM, enable a FPS limiter and many other things.

I bet some of them (like the GPU status, monitor info, link speed) could've been easily implemented on Linux too, if they wanted to!

Comment

Working...
                      X