Radeon Software for Linux 22.20 Released With Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software for Linux 22.20 Released With Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Support

Phoronix: Radeon Software for Linux 22.20 Released With Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Support

While AMD is normally fairly good at promptly supporting major new enterprise Linux distribution releases from Red Hat, SUSE, and Canonical (Ubuntu), this time around with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS it's taken just shy of three months since the official release for them to formally release a new packaged driver supporting it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone managed to get it working?

sudo amdgpu-install --opencl=rocr
    [sudo] password for dominik:
    Hit:1 http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy InRelease
    Hit:2 http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates InRelease
    Hit:3 http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports InRelease
    Get:4 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security InRelease [110 kB]
    Hit:5 https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu/22.20/ubuntu jammy InRelease
    Hit:6 https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/5.2 ubuntu InRelease
    Fetched 110 kB in 1s (105 kB/s)
    Reading package lists... Done
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    linux-headers-5.15.0-41-generic is already the newest version (5.15.0-41.44).
    linux-headers-5.15.0-41-generic set to manually installed.
    linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-41-generic is already the newest version (5.15.0-41.44).
    linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-41-generic set to manually installed.
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    rocm-llvm : Depends: python but it is not installable
    Depends: libstdc++-5-dev but it is not installable or
    libstdc++-7-dev but it is not installable
    Depends: libgcc-5-dev but it is not installable or
    libgcc-7-dev but it is not installable
    Recommends: gcc-multilib but it is not going to be installed
    Recommends: g++-multilib but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Comment

What is the real difference between the AMD supplied driver and the free open source ones?
      I mean, I havn't tried all the various flavors myself. I mostly just use whatever my distro uses. I can play my games and it works just fine.
      I do have a 6950xt, should I be using other drivers then the default that my distribution provides? Currently using openSuse Tumbleweed as my main OS.

Would a delay like this just make the open source drivers that much more desirable to use anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by MNKyDeth View Post
        What is the real difference between the AMD supplied driver and the free open source ones?
        I mean, I havn't tried all the various flavors myself. I mostly just use whatever my distro uses. I can play my games and it works just fine.
        I do have a 6950xt, should I be using other drivers then the default that my distribution provides? Currently using openSuse Tumbleweed as my main OS.

Would a delay like this just make the open source drivers that much more desirable to use anyways?
        The performance differences are mostly insignificant. But some software refuses to work without the proprietary stuff to my knowledge. Also the article explicitly mentions OpenCL. No idea what's the state of that on the open source side.

Comment

For Tumbleweed you need open drivers. You can add AMD's OpenCL drivers (or ROCm) to get OpenCL support. HIP possibly works.
          Ask about details in openSUSE forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

The performance differences are mostly insignificant. But some software refuses to work without the proprietary stuff to my knowledge. Also the article explicitly mentions OpenCL. No idea what's the state of that on the open source side.
            3D games work better with open drivers (ACO), also some games work faster with closed ones. Read papers on Phoronix to get more info.
            IDK about software that requires closed drivers - please write about it.
            Open AMD ROCm OpenCL mostly works.
            Open Mesa 3D OpenCL still lacks image support and some other functionality.
            AFAIK AMD closed-source OpenCL drivers are not available anymore via standard methods.

Comment

The only reason to get the AMD drivers is if you need OpenCL support. And if so, you're way better off just buying an Nvidia card and forgetting about OpenCL.

The other reason is if you're a big company that cares about AMD specifically validating and supporting their driver against certain (expensive proprietary) apps. This is definitely not for normal consumers.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 16 July 2022, 01:42 AM.

Comment

I can play my games and it works just fine.
                If you want to use ray tracing in games (e.g. in Doom Eternal or Quake 2 RTX) you may want to try the proprietary vulkan driver, it's much faster than radv with its experimental ray tracing.
                Last edited by whatever; 16 July 2022, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by whatever View Post
                  If you want to use ray tracing in games (e.g. in Doom Eternal or Quake 2 RTX) you may want to try the proprietary vulkan driver, it's much faster than radv with its experimental ray tracing.
                  AMD's "AMDVLK" Vulkan Driver Making It Easier To Switch To RADV Driver

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

The only reason to get the AMD drivers is if you need OpenCL support. And if so, you're way better off just buying an Nvidia card and forgetting about OpenCL.

The other reason is if you're a big company that cares about AMD specifically validating and supporting their driver against certain (expensive proprietary) apps. This is definitely not for normal consumers.
                    You can relocate to North Korea if you like monopolies.

Nvidia drivers have troubles with rolling releases.

Comment

Working...
                    X