Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi "V3DV" Open-Source Driver Closing In On Vulkan 1.2

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi "V3DV" Open-Source Driver Closing In On Vulkan 1.2

It was just last October that Mesa's V3DV driver achieved Vulkan 1.1 conformance for this Broadcom Vulkan open-source driver most notably used by the Raspberry Pi 4 and newer. Now Vulkan 1.2 is just on the horizon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I appreciate the work the team at Igalia is doing, and I appreciate the existence of the Raspberry Pi, but it is super annoying that the Pi uses a weird GPU.

Now that the project has such success and goodwill, wouldn't it make sense to try to pit AMD and Intel against each other to 'sponsor' some of the Pi's CPU/GPU development? Or is the whole RPI project sort of beholden to Broadcom?

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
      I appreciate the work the team at Igalia is doing, and I appreciate the existence of the Raspberry Pi, but it is super annoying that the Pi uses a weird GPU.

Now that the project has such success and goodwill, wouldn't it make sense to try to pit AMD and Intel against each other to 'sponsor' some of the Pi's CPU/GPU development? Or is the whole RPI project sort of beholden to Broadcom?
      AMD and Intel don't really license their GPU IP to other companies (with some exceptions like Samsung's Exynos 2200). They could license Mali from ARM or PowerVR from Imagination. But at this point, they have their own GPU tech with pretty mature open source drivers. I don't see them switching off VideoCore soon. And if they do, Mali is probably their best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post

AMD and Intel don't really license their GPU IP to other companies (with some exceptions like Samsung's Exynos 2200). They could license Mali from ARM or PowerVR from Imagination. But at this point, they have their own GPU tech with pretty mature open source drivers. I don't see them switching off VideoCore soon. And if they do, Mali is probably their best bet.
        I hope not mali, migrating to Qualcomm would be a better option

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
          but it is super annoying that the Pi uses a weird GPU.
          Welcome to the ARM world, which is full of weird GPUs with dubious drivers.

Apparently there are "rumors" of Microsoft working with AMD on an ARM processor with RDNA 2 graphics: https://www.windowscentral.com/micro...rm-laptop-chip

That could be quite exciting, though the price and power consumption would presumably be higher than what the Pi targets.

Comment

Originally posted by ids1024 View Post
            Apparently there are "rumors" of Microsoft working with AMD on an ARM processor with RDNA 2 graphics: https://www.windowscentral.com/micro...rm-laptop-chip
            Samsung has already done that with their Exynos 2200 SoC.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I hope not mali, migrating to Qualcomm would be a better option
              Qualcomm doesn't licence their graphics IP.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post

Qualcomm doesn't licence their graphics IP.
                I know, I realize I wasn't clear my bad, I was trying to imply I would rather them migrate to a full qualcomm based system rather then use mali. and yes, I realize that isnt really feasible

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I know, I realize I wasn't clear my bad, I was trying to imply I would rather them migrate to a full qualcomm based system rather then use mali. and yes, I realize that isnt really feasible
                  Ah, I see. That makes more sense, but they've clearly invested in their own chips/ partnership with Broadcomm. That and the Pi's chip are supported for much longer than Snapdragon chips.

Having a cheap chip with long support and modern graphics API and driver support is a bit of a niche mainly filled by the Raspberry Pi and Rockchip powered SBC's. I don't know if Qualcomm would even be interested in such a thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X