Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD @ Computex 2022 Talks Up Ryzen 7000 Series, Announces Mendocino Budget Laptop APUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
    I wonder if they are gonna find some nifty enterprise use for the igpu as well, servers could use some baseline gpu support as well, plus it can accelerate certain workloads on soc level.

Next step - stack 16 gb hbm on top of the io die, huge soc level wide fast memory pool without extra footprint - still fits am5. That plus the 64 gigs of L3 on the compute dies. Should be thermally feasible too. And they get to claim the world's first 16 gb cache cpu, even if not sram, there are still major performance and power efficiency gains, and you get to spill over to system ram, and significantly alleviate the strain on the narrower ddr5 controller.

Pretty soon they will also have "zen 3+" 16 core chiplet at 5nm for am5, which I guess will do pretty well against zen 4 in most use cases. So technically, amd could do as much as 32 zen3+ or 16 zen cores plus more of a mid-ranger igpu to am5. But again - only with hbm. And it will be a bit constrained at 170 watts, they will have to balance the power focus the same way they do on 17 watt power contained mobile apus.
    I'm hearing that we will see separate ML, neural, and other accelerators rather than the iGPU being repurposed. For example the Tensilica Vision Q6 and C5 DSPs in Rembrandt, but even more of that with Zen 5 and later.

Big HBM L4 cache on the I/O die (which gets less hot) would be nice to see, even if only for halo products like a 5950X/7950X equivalent. One way Intel has made its more expensive CPUs look better is by enabling more L3 cache per core as you go up the stack. The same could be done with L4 cache. Buy a 6-core, you get 2 GB of HBM, buy a 16-core, you get 8-16 GB.

I guess you're referring to Zen 4C as "Zen 3+". If they want to take advantage of what Intel's doing, we could see a mix of chiplets such as Zen 5 + Zen 4C.

Your analysis of the performance misses that Zen 4 will compete directly with 13th gen Raptor Lake which will bring its own single-threaded increase, and Intel is planning to rapidly release 14th gen Meteor Lake after that. There was only an ~8 month gap between Rocket Lake and Alder Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
      I guess you're referring to Zen 4C as "Zen 3+". If they want to take advantage of what Intel's doing, we could see a mix of chiplets such as Zen 5 + Zen 4C.

Your analysis of the performance misses that Zen 4 will compete directly with 13th gen Raptor Lake which will bring its own single-threaded increase, and Intel is planning to rapidly release 14th gen Meteor Lake after that. There was only an ~8 month gap between Rocket Lake and Alder Lake.
      Yep, it is closer to 3 than to 4 imo. I'd rather have only one type really. The difference is not as pronounced as with intel's p and e cores, 4c will be quite strong, and double the cores will more than often outpace half the zen 4 cores. No point of inviting scheduling complexity unless amd introduces something really low power.

Again - this is basically intel's best case, and not necessarily something the new revision might improve upon further, as it clearly has other deficits which need to be addressed first. Remember that 12 gen struggles against 1.5 years older zen 3 computationally. I think that ultimately, amd will have stronger overall gains, where it really matters for hpc. 50 additional FPS if you already have 500 make no difference. Getting compute done quickly and on a good power budget becomes increasingly more important as systems scale up in power footprint. 12 gen took ridiculous power to edge out zen 3 in latency sensitive tasks and still failed to eclipse old amd chips that use half the power in compute.

13 gen might manage to get a slight edge in ST over zen 4, but I do expect the latter to reign supreme for productivity.

127223.png
      Intel scores well in short burst and small memory footprint tasks, but when it comes to chugging out production data, 12 gen is nowhere nearly as fast as everyone pretends to be. 13 gen will need a good 10% gain to just edge zen 3, and zen 4 will probably be around 20+% faster. So a few pyrrhic victories for intel 13 gen.

Comment

To my understanding Zen 4c is not an efficiency core in the sense of energy efficient but area efficient. Server CPUs with Zen 4 are going to have 96 cores and the 4c versions will have 128 cores. But 4c includes SMT and probably won't be mixed like in intel big.little.
        If we ever see them in desktops? Hardly, but maybe in the next consoles.

Comment

From the looks of this, even though I want to wait for Zen4, it would make more sense for me to upgrade to a recent Zen3 processor/MB/DDR4/SSD combo to replace my ancient AMD Phenom II X4 DDR2 16gb main server system. It's hitting almost 14 years old now and still running strong in alot of ways. It's just really starting to show it's age and I'm sure *anything* would be an improvement now, especially with 32 or 64gb of RAM so I can run more stuff as VMs.

So what do people think is the sweet spot of Zen3 in terms of price/perfomance/power these days? The 8 core chips look really good, but only up until a point. Buying an extra 200mhz for $100-$150 more doesn't appeal when it makes more sense to get more memory.

Lots of fun specing out a new system for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by l8gravely View Post
            So what do people think is the sweet spot of Zen3 in terms of price/perfomance/power these days?
            The 6 core is IMO the sufficient performance / high value sweet spot. It will still be a huge update to a phenom. The 12 core if you need the performance. Get an apu if you don't have a gpu.

Comment

From the looks of this, even though I want to wait for Zen4, it would make more sense for me to upgrade to a recent Zen3 processor/MB/DDR4/SSD combo to replace my ancient AMD Phenom II X4 DDR2 16gb main server system. It's hitting almost 14 years old now and still running strong in alot of ways. It's just really starting to show it's age and I'm sure *anything* would be an improvement now, especially with 32 or 64gb of RAM so I can run more stuff as VMs.

So what do people think is the sweet spot of Zen3 in terms of price/perfomance/power these days? The 8 core chips look really good, but only up until a point. Buying an extra 200mhz for $100-$150 more doesn't appeal when it makes more sense to get more memory.
              Ryzen 5 5600 gets almost all of the performance of the 5600X but should have better price/performance. Firesale pricing on high-core count models may be attractive if you can actually use all of that performance. For example, the 5950X has been obtainable for under $550 in recent months, less than what people paid for a 5900X at launch.

If there is a 5600G at $200 and 5700G at $250, just stretch your budget and go for the 5700G.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                Not if you want to put the GPU on laptop for example. Rurrently all AMD APUs are laptop design chips, retrofitted on AM4 socket, without any I/O die, but a monolithic.
                GPU dies are generally bigger than CPU dies even in laptops; or in the case of single-die SoC, the GPU is typically taking more area than the CPU, even for low-end integrated graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post

Ryzen 5 5600 gets almost all of the performance of the 5600X but should have better price/performance. Firesale pricing on high-core count models may be attractive if you can actually use all of that performance. For example, the 5950X has been obtainable for under $550 in recent months, less than what people paid for a 5900X at launch.

If there is a 5600G at $200 and 5700G at $250, just stretch your budget and go for the 5700G.
                  I'm looking at getting the 5700G, since it's not a bad increase to get two more cores, and at 65W it will handily beat Phenom II 945 X4 at 110W of power. So a big speed increase and a big power drop as well. Can't lose! So 32gb RAM, new MB and CPU looks to be $800, since I have the rest of the stuff I need.

Comment

I'm looking at getting the 5700G, since it's not a bad increase to get two more cores, and at 65W it will handily beat Phenom II 945 X4 at 110W of power. So a big speed increase and a big power drop as well. Can't lose! So 32gb RAM, new MB and CPU looks to be $800, since I have the rest of the stuff I need.
                    Just don't do what I did - for some reason, when I was looking at upgrading, I completely blanked on the fact that the 5700G is PCI-E Gen.3, not Gen.4.

I mean, I just repurposed it, but... yeah, felt like an idiot.

The 65W chips are nice, though - a lot of performance for a lot less power draw.

Comment

So what do people think is the sweet spot of Zen3 in terms of price/perfomance/power these days?
                      Sweet spot is the 6 core processors whether 5600, 5600X, or 5600G. If you have a nice video card, don't mess with the 5600G... At least that is my humble opinion. I jumped from a AMD Phenom II X4 to the first gen Ryzen 1600 back when introduced and it blew the doors off of the Phenom processor so to speak. I couldn't believe the difference in performance at the time. The 5600 series is just that much better. I've went through the 1600, 2600, 3600 before I landed the 5600X (same hardware thanks to AM4)... probably the last upgrade for our home general purpose computer. It's more than fast enough for anything that we'll want that computer to do. The Win7 VM that my wife occasionally runs is way faster than the old bare metal Win7 machine that no longer exists. All my home machines are running Linux as the base OS.
                      Last edited by rclark; 24 May 2022, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X