Radeon RADV Driver Readied For Vulkan's Upcoming Mesh Shading Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon RADV Driver Readied For Vulkan's Upcoming Mesh Shading Extension

Phoronix: Radeon RADV Driver Readied For Vulkan's Upcoming Mesh Shading Extension

As I've written about since last year the Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" has been working on experimental mesh shader support and more recently in Mesa Git code around task shaders for RADV have been landing. Timur Kristóf who is contracted by Valve to work on the open-source Linux graphics stack has been working on the mesh/task shader support in preparation for an upcoming cross-vendor Vulkan extension around mesh shading...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Venemo

Since no-one of our great Phoronix community felt compelled enough to congratulate & thank You for Your invaluable work You do for all us plebs, let me be the first one here:

Thanks!

Also, any games that already make use of mesh shaders?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
      Venemo

Since no-one of our great Phoronix community felt compelled enough to congratulate & thank You for Your invaluable work You do for all us plebs, let me be the first one here:

Thanks!

from searching, the only one i can find is a game called "Justice Online." outside that, with the UE5 tech demo "The Matrix Awakens" and 3DMark Mesh Shading benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
        Thank you. I am not aware of any current games that use mesh shaders, but we hope that adding driver support for these shaders may motivate developers to consider mesh shading in the future.

Comment

What is the hardware supported by Radv?
          Does GCN1.2 supports it, or there are a higher base request for hardware?
          thanks

Comment

tuxd3v If you mean what hardware supports mesh shaders then i think you would need RDNA2.
            If you mean RADV in general then any GPU that can utilize the AMDGPU kernel driver is supported. Which includes GCN 1.2

Comment

Still waiting for RADV RT to be on par with Win10. (or close) ATM it's still experimental with crash/freeze galore!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Still waiting for RADV RT to be on par with Win10. (or close) ATM it's still experimental with crash/freeze galore!
                I think what RADV has achieved with RT till now is impressive because afaik AMD didn't provide to RADV devs proper RT documentation.

Comment

It has been officially confirmed that a Vulkan cross-vendor mesh shading extension is coming soon.
                  Awesome! Looking forward to it. But surely there will also be an OpenGL cross-vendor mesh shading extension to go along with the Vulkan one?

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                    Awesome! Looking forward to it. But surely there will also be an OpenGL cross-vendor mesh shading extension to go along with the Vulkan one?
                    No, why would anyone develop something completely new in OpenGL when we have Vulkan?

Comment

Working...
                    X