No announcement yet.

Intel Announces SYCLomatic For Open-Source Conversion Of CUDA Code To C++ SYCL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Announces SYCLomatic For Open-Source Conversion Of CUDA Code To C++ SYCL

Phoronix: Intel Announces SYCLomatic For Open-Source Conversion Of CUDA Code To C++ SYCL

Intel today has lifted the embargo on SYCLomatic, their new open-source tool to help migrate code-bases targeting NVIDIA's CUDA so they can be re-purposed to target C++ and SYCL -- thereby being able to leverage Intel's graphics processors and jiving with their oneAPI goals...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thats great ! Its time that we get rid of the CUDA vendor-lockin

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
      Thats great ! Its time that we get rid of the CUDA vendor-lockin
      Still exist a lot of tools to convert CUDA to Sycl/OpenCl/C++, like Hipify.
      Hope that Intel may move a lot of developer to open source code for gpu...

Comment

Originally posted by boboviz View Post

I know but its good to see companies with huge resources behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I know but its good to see companies with huge resources behind it.
          I'm not sure how healthy it is to have so many standards and tools for roughly the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

I'm not sure how healthy it is to have so many standards and tools for roughly the same thing.
            At the least, no one can complain about lack of options

Comment

and all it took was a mere 425,354 commits to their repo

Comment

HiP is not SYCL. HiP is essentially CUDA by another name - well, AMD's open source implementation of CUDA.

I care more about open standards than open source. Fortunately, Intel is doing both.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                  They're not really standards. CUDA and HiP are Nvidia and AMD's own things.

The standards are OpenCL and SYCL (which essentially builds on OpenCL).

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    HiP is not SYCL. HiP is essentially CUDA by another name - well, AMD's open source implementation of CUDA.

I care more about open standards than open source. Fortunately, Intel is doing both.
                    Yes without open standards any opensource effort is going to be way more difficult.

I also do understand the fragmentation argument. But unfortunately CUDA domination on the market is so strong that any effort seems to help. It always reminds me of evolution. Often there is a phase of a cambrian explosion of projects targetting the same goal making the overall situatiion quite cluttered. But as with evolution some will get extinct and a few "countable" solutions will remain and lead the field.

Comment

Working...
                    X