Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjmcwill2003 View Post

I think what's being asked is:

I've enrolled key1 and key2, and put key2 in a safe location as a spare.

Now I lose key1. So I grab key2 and use that to unlock my encrypted disk.

Now what? If I also lose key2, I'm totally hosed.

So the question is: while I possess key2, can I purchase key3 and enroll it, then put it in a safe space, and continue to use key2 as my main key?

Presumably I'd also take key1 off the list of keys that can unlock my encryption since I no longer possess that key.
    I have a backup of my Yubikey private key (I use it in smart card mode), so it is all technically recoverable. I think I am just overly paranoid of locking myself out of everything. Gotta remember how to do all of the above at the moment where everything is on fire, of course... The smart card/FIDO tools they provide are great, though... and just work everywhere with no hassle

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
      Yubikeys are really cool (Linux friendly FIDO support, Smartcard support, HSM replacement, etc)... ...but I'm not sure if I trust myself to not lose it for my own systems. At the office, I'd just ask for a replacement. At home, it'd be a definite "@£$% how do I get back in now?" moment.
      I guess periodic backups should ease your pain in the worst case scenario that you lose both. But if we're gonna check catastrophic scenarios, maybe both your local and offsite backups died in the nuclear winter too.

For backup key, I think you can deactivate and re-enroll the backup and a new one you buy, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by jjmcwill2003 View Post
        So the question is: while I possess key2, can I purchase key3 and enroll it, then put it in a safe space, and continue to use key2 as my main key?
        yes!

Presumably I'd also take key1 off the list of keys that can unlock my encryption since I no longer possess that key.
        yes!

Comment

I pushed one additional PR to add PIN-support, so that should be working in the release.
          As dylan pointed out, it's in a very early stage behind `--advanced` for now - but should be functioning.
          Do let us know if there's anything wonky with this feature and we'll tweak it

Here's two snippets of the feature..
          Locking: https://youtu.be/IY24ughIMok
          Unlocking: https://youtu.be/35L54syE8II

One concern that came to mind while implementing this.
          Was how quick the disk unlocks with a FIDO2-device.
          I get that there's more trust here, but using something like a PCI/USB emulation tool to brute force, would this be possible?
          I hope there's a mechanism that kicks in to prevent this

It also uses password enrollment, so you could use a strong password and lock that in somewhere as your backup.
          Which means password + fido2 is used. Post-configuration can remove or add keys as you choose.

Anyway, enjoy the feature and keep us posted of how it works! (preferably on github byt anywhere is fine really)
          Last edited by Torxed; 18 May 2022, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

I guess periodic backups should ease your pain in the worst case scenario that you lose both. But if we're gonna check catastrophic scenarios, maybe both your local and offsite backups died in the nuclear winter too.

For backup key, I think you can deactivate and re-enroll the backup and a new one you buy, yes.
            Well then, it looks like good spent $50-60. Though I'm assuming the backup isn't free.

And I don't mean for security, but for sheer convenience when having to deal with a ton of password and 2FA. I mean, these things even work with your phone over NFC!

Comment

Originally posted by Torxed View Post
              I pushed one additional PR to add PIN-support, so that should be working in the release.
              As dylan pointed out, it's in a very early stage behind `--advanced` for now - but should be functioning.
              Do let us know if there's anything wonky with this feature and we'll tweak it

Here's two snippets of the feature..
              Locking: https://youtu.be/IY24ughIMok
              Unlocking: https://youtu.be/35L54syE8II

One concern that came to mind while implementing this.
              Was how quick the disk unlocks with a FIDO2-device.
              I get that there's more trust here, but using something like a PCI/USB emulation tool to brute force, would this be possible?
              I hope there's a mechanism that kicks in to prevent this

It also uses password enrollment, so you could use a strong password and lock that in somewhere as your backup.
              Which means password + fido2 is used. Post-configuration can remove or add keys as you choose.

Anyway, enjoy the feature and keep us posted of how it works! (preferably on github byt anywhere is fine really)
              One thing that works against you is Arch is so solid, once installed, there's rarely a need to reinstall

Comment

Arch Linux Installer is really amazing, Arch Linux became one of the easiest distro to install with it, is there any api to install it in multiple machines ?

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post
                  Arch Linux Installer is really amazing, Arch Linux became one of the easiest distro to install with it, is there any api to install it in multiple machines ?
                  Sort of. You can provide a pre-populated configuration file, so you don't have to select any values, you can have a non-interactive installation. You also have the option to have a profile based on the machine's MAC address, although this is less common, and I haven't personally tested it.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

One thing that works against you is Arch is so solid, once installed, there's rarely a need to reinstall
                    Haha, wait until you find our easter egg that erases random files every third moon when the tide is high and all cars are parked at the same time!

Edit: Maybe I need to clarify in case someone doesn't get sarcasm.. There is no easter egg.. Maybe..
                    There definitely is no easter egg!

Originally posted by luno View Post
                    To build on what dylan said:
                    Code:
                    archinstall --config https://domain.lan/config.json --disk-layout ... --creds ...
                    You can generate these by:
                    Code:
                    archinstall --dry-run
                    Which will abort right before formatting takes place, but generates the JSON files under /var/log/archinstall/.
                    You can also use the menu system to save the JSON files
                    You can also do:
                    Code:
                    import archinstall

And write your own installer or just a profile, which you can load with:
                    Code:
                    archinstall --profile https://domain.lan/your_profile.py
                    I really need to document this hehe.
                    Last edited by Torxed; 18 May 2022, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yes, that is what I was asking. Also, what happens to the keys you lose? Can they be deactivated? Because when you lose the keys to your house, you kinda have to change the locks.
                      I see. And thanks for the clarification jjmcwill2003

I was in the unfortunate position to have lost the yubikey I use to login to my laptop (FIDO2 support setup through systemd-homed, thanks to Arch's excellent support for it) and some online services. And I couldn't buy another Yubikey for financial reason. The remedy included revoking the lost yubikey using homectl and also removing that key from the list of permitted keys for those online services, and also adding a backup 2FA usually in the form of TOTP since now I only have 1 hardware key. All services I used (homectl, Dropbox, Google, my bank and Github just to name a few) allowed the adding & removing of keys, once authenticated using password + some form of 2FA. Overall it wasn't more complicated than if a password were to be compromised.
                      Last edited by bzs0; 18 May 2022, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X