FreeBSD 13.1 Released With UEFI Boot Enhancements, Driver Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 13.1 Released With UEFI Boot Enhancements, Driver Improvements

Phoronix: FreeBSD 13.1 Released With UEFI Boot Enhancements, Driver Improvements

After taking a few extra weeks to bake, FreeBSD 13.1 is out today as the newest stable release of this leading BSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks

… Downloads and the full change-log for FreeBSD 13.1 via FreeBSD.org.
    The linked page, for release notes, lacks a direct link to the release announcement. It's in the sidebar, however it's not obvious that the link is for the announcement.

FreeBSD is an operating system used to power modern servers, desktops, and embedded platforms.

In addition to the published announcement and release notes, another significant enhancement in 13.1-RELEASE:
    Where boot environments are supported and appropriate, the install command of freebsd-update[8] will automatically create a snapshot of the current environment before proceeding with installation. freebsd-update.conf[5] describes the CreateBootEnv option, which can be set to no, and other situations in which automation will not occur. 1420778e9ee6, 8a3c868ab4e6

freebsd-update(8) and boot environments | The FreeBSD Forums
    Last edited by grahamperrin; 16 May 2022, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Michael

Typo "allwo" should be "allow".

Comment

"Oh FreeBSD you are my favorite BSD based operating system!"

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
          "Oh FreeBSD you are my favorite BSD based operating system!"
          I like FreeBSD and roll with it more often than not for a BSD, but I like the philosophy and security behind OpenBSD, I just don't like the no wine or Linux emulation on OpenBSD.

Comment

Michaels articles are reminding me that I should check out BSD more often - sometimes i'm too much into Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I like FreeBSD and roll with it more often than not for a BSD, but I like the philosophy and security behind OpenBSD, I just don't like the no wine or Linux emulation on OpenBSD.
              Indeed. You can just about get by with OpenBSD's VMM running i.e Debian in place of Linux emulation and also running Wine. The main disadvantages are it isn't multi-core and no real GPU access.

If you are using the Linux Emu / Wine to run games then it is likely not an option but if you are running command-line or basic GUI programs, then it could be worth trying out. X11 forwarding or TigerVNC both work well enough for that.

Comment

I've had decent experiences with FreeBSD 13.x on a hobby basis. In comparison, 12.3 was a bit of a train wreck with the old AMD hardware I use for this.

In general, I'm very impressed with synth for managing ports.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I get you: I don't use OpenBSD because of lack of Wine, which I use a lot. However, I would get quite annoyed if an OS which is so centered on security would just let weird Windows dlls and close source blobs become a security threat. So as I don't need stringy security, I use Linux and FreeBSD, but I like having a security centered option if I need it one day.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
                    I've had decent experiences with FreeBSD 13.x on a hobby basis. In comparison, 12.3 was a bit of a train wreck with the old AMD hardware I use for this.

In general, I'm very impressed with synth for managing ports.
                    Like you, 13.0 was the turning point: The first FreeBSD which just worked on my day to day laptop (before that I had no wifi, no touchpad and lot of performance issues)

Comment

Working...
                    X