No announcement yet.

KDE Lands More Plasma Wayland Improvements & Fixes Ahead Of Plasma 5.25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Kde for the huge amount of useful applications. I don't like Kde for akonadi. For what reason I have to load 200/300 mb of akonadi's things to use the Kontact suite, or at least the only appointment option in the calendar widget, while libsqlite3 (just an example) is 1.5 mb? Kde3 used a lighter solution (and I used it that time).

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
      I like Kde for the huge amount of useful applications. I don't like Kde for akonadi. For what reason I have to load 200/300 mb of akonadi's things to use the Kontact suite, or at least the only appointment option in the calendar widget, while libsqlite3 (just an example) is 1.5 mb? Kde3 used a lighter solution (and I used it that time).
      I don't use Akonadi, although this is an example from http://web.archive.org/web/201306270...re-and-kde-pim :

Let's do an example, something really simple and basic. I'm an executive, and I get an email from a client I'm trying to entice into a juicy contract with my company. He wants to meet with me to discuss it next Monday at 10 o'clock.

With the old method of separate email client and calendar application, I now have to open my calendar app, go to Monday and create an event. Not hard, but it takes a minute or two. Wouldn't it be better if I could just click a button and have an appointment created automatically? Wouldn't it be really great if the appointment in my calendar was also linked back to the email for reference? Even more, if it was somehow also linked to my contact information for that client, any notes I may have written concerning them, any emails, instant messages or social media exchanges we may have had before?

Note that this is how the competition (Microsoft Exchange) works, and realize how hard it would be to entice businesses to take a step back in functionality and convenience.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
        I aggree. As much as I love KDE, I think that Akonadi is the weakest spot here. Not only it's too heavy for what it does, it's also buggy, troublesome and has incomplete features. It begs for replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

I don't use Akonadi, although this is an example from http://web.archive.org/web/201306270...re-and-kde-pim :

Let's do an example, something really simple and basic. I'm an executive, and I get an email from a client I'm trying to entice into a juicy contract with my company. He wants to meet with me to discuss it next Monday at 10 o'clock.

With the old method of separate email client and calendar application, I now have to open my calendar app, go to Monday and create an event. Not hard, but it takes a minute or two. Wouldn't it be better if I could just click a button and have an appointment created automatically? Wouldn't it be really great if the appointment in my calendar was also linked back to the email for reference? Even more, if it was somehow also linked to my contact information for that client, any notes I may have written concerning them, any emails, instant messages or social media exchanges we may have had before?

Note that this is how the competition (Microsoft Exchange) works, and realize how hard it would be to entice businesses to take a step back in functionality and convenience.
          Really do you think that anyone in their decision processes makes those things automatically? Advertizing is not the real world. In the professional world, Kontact isn't a professional application. For users like me and maybe you, Kontact would be a great resource.

Comment

Kontact was used in some companies and public entities (https://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Me...ich_Deployment), although that I have not seen it.

There was another example:

My reminder pops up Monday morning, say two hours before the meeting. I click the email link and it pulls up the mail. Click another button and it pulls up the entire thread. With just two mouse clicks I now have all the email conversations I've had with this client to refresh my memory, in just a few seconds. In that same view I also see I have some notes attached to some of our exchanges.

The old way: the reminder pops up, I have to open my email program, search through the hundreds of mails I receive to find the one I want, then search again for anything relevant, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Can you share the URL for the Bugzilla ticket you filed about this issue?
              TBH, I hadn't before since I couldn't get any type of useful logs and the only required step was "make a window fullscreen" so presumed someone with more knowledge might identify something. I apologise and will try to be more proactive in future.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                Kontact was used in some companies and public entities (https://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Me...ich_Deployment), although that I have not seen it.

There was another example:

My reminder pops up Monday morning, say two hours before the meeting. I click the email link and it pulls up the mail. Click another button and it pulls up the entire thread. With just two mouse clicks I now have all the email conversations I've had with this client to refresh my memory, in just a few seconds. In that same view I also see I have some notes attached to some of our exchanges.

The old way: the reminder pops up, I have to open my email program, search through the hundreds of mails I receive to find the one I want, then search again for anything relevant, etc.
                Then, you have to waste more of your time checking everything is correct.

Comment

ffs... I read this forum and I think I am doing something wrong.

Daily driver (8+ hours/day) using KDE Plasma 5.24.5 on wayland with scaling on a 4k external monitor...

...I have some very small issues:
                  - yakuake shows on the monitor in the right: fixed with a window rule
                  - sometimes I got a visual artifact here or there after suspend/locking: solved my minimizing and maximizing the window

But:
                  - Chrome hw video decoding: working
                  - Chrome raw draw: working
                  - Chrome on wayland: working
                  - Screensharing with mouse pointer on chrome: working
                  - No crashes
                  - I have a bit of customization
                  - And sometimes I play a bit on steam
                  - Sometimes I speed weeks without rebooting and no issues.

According to this forum i'm, a true outlier.

[AMD RENOIR, mesa 22.0.3]
                  Last edited by C8292; 15 May 2022, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
                    ffs... I read this forum and I think I am doing something wrong.

Daily driver (8+ hours/day) using KDE Plasma 5.24.5 on wayland with scaling on a 4k external monitor...

...I have some very small issues:
                    - yakuake shows on the monitor in the right: fixed with a window rule
                    - sometimes I got a visual artifact here or there after suspend/locking: solved my minimizing and maximizing the window

But:
                    - Chrome hw video decoding: working
                    - Chrome raw draw: working
                    - Chrome on wayland: working
                    - Screensharing with mouse pointer on chrome: working
                    - No crashes
                    - I have a bit of customization
                    - And sometimes I play a bit on steam
                    - Sometimes I speed weeks without rebooting and no issues.

According to this forum i'm, a true outlier.

[AMD RENOIR, mesa 22.0.3]
                    Those people also told similar things there:
                    - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...83#post1323883
                    - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...98#post1323898
                    - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...24#post1323924

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

TBH, I hadn't before since I couldn't get any type of useful logs and the only required step was "make a window fullscreen" so presumed someone with more knowledge might identify something. I apologise and will try to be more proactive in future.
                      https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=453824
                      Thank you! Bug reports are the first step in getting your issues resolved, for sure. I know it can be annoying, but if you don't do it, you're relying on someone else having the same issue and filing a bug report about it, and this is in no way guaranteed.

Filing a bug report isn't a guarantee of a qiuck fix or even a fix at all, of course. But it increases the chance of that happening.

Comment

Working...
                      X