No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Transitioning To Official, Open-Source Linux GPU Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC, the kernel folks are unlikely to allow this upstream without an open source userspace. This is not likely to lead to a significant change in the status quo near term. Our best bets remain with Nouveau, who can hopefully benefit from this release, and maybe get reclocking working on newer systems :shrug:. Still, this does appear to significantly improve the prospects of Nouveau, and if there's an open userspace still coming, that changes everything. Kudos to Nvidia for being less shit than normal.

Comment

Originally posted by inhuman4 View Post
      Fantastic news! Lets hope they have good luck getting it mainlined.
      they won't :P

Comment

Userspace still closed source…

But that's a huge step in the right direction.

As long as the userspace will be closed source, I would still default to AMD (well, actually, I have always preferred AMD anyway, even back in the dark FGLRX times) but if this driver gets mainlined, that would make Nvidia technically viable against AMD (mainline is always much better that dkms, especially for something as important as a display driver). Great news for those (including myself at work) who need CUDA under Linux, and a great victory for FOSS and Linux.
        Last edited by ALRBP; 11 May 2022, 04:34 PM.

Comment

This is great news! Yet, personally I don't see what really changes for the end users (except for the new features), if the source doesn't live *inside* the kernel.
          I mean, we could compile NVidia source since ages. Maybe you can help me see the light, too?

Comment

Hopefully wayland performance will improve, looks like gamescope works now

Comment

Alright, cool!
              • The github repository will function mostly as a snapshot of each driver release.
              • We do not expect to be able to provide revision history for individual changes that were made to NVIDIA's shared code base. There will likely only be one git commit per driver release.
              • We may not be able to reflect individual contributions as separate git commits in the github repository.
              This is sad but hey, one step at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
                Does this open source kernel module include signed power management firmware for re-clocking?
                If not, there is no real benefit to nouveaus kernel module.
                Nvidia's documentation says that power management is not yet implemented, but they will add it in the future:

I am not sure if that means that the GPUs stay at minimum clock speeds, or if they run at maximum clock speeds. If they are supporting datacenters with this driver, then it should be the latter, which presumably nouveau could use on Ampere and Tegra.

That said, I would like to see mesa gain support for using the nvidia kernel driver, so that we can get a completely open source stack.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
                  Unfuck Nvidia
                  I'd personally wait and watch how this is going to unfold.
                  Remember that with NVidia's last open source graphics driver, they basically gave the kernel community the finger at every opportunity.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Well, I guess pigs fly.

Comment

Originally posted by hikingpete View Post
                      IIRC, the kernel folks are unlikely to allow this upstream without an open source userspace. This is not likely to lead to a significant change in the status quo near term. Our best bets remain with Nouveau, who can hopefully benefit from this release, and maybe get reclocking working on newer systems :shrug:. Still, this does appear to significantly improve the prospects of Nouveau, and if there's an open userspace still coming, that changes everything. Kudos to Nvidia for being less shit than normal.
                      The kernel guys are fine with a closed source user space, provided that the kernel module is not a shim for stuffing proprietary software into the kernel. Whether or not it is in Linus' tree does not matter. We can continue installing it out of tree like we always did, except now the kernel portion will be open source. I am holding off on adopting this until power management and gsync are working in this.

Comment

Working...
                      X