No announcement yet.

AMDVLK 2022.Q1.1 Released With Radeon RX 6500 XT Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RX 6500 XT Linux benchmarks in a few days....

Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So my 3+ year old 8GB RX580 that I got new for £200 is still good then? That means that even if you could get this new one at MSRP there's been no movement at all in the GPU market since I got mine (except a slight efficiency increase).

It would be interesting to have something that old in the benchmarks if you still have one kicking about, I noticed that generation had dropped out of the higher-end reviews you've done recently.

Edit - Just checked Ebay prices for my card, it's going for £340 second hand at the moment. Gulp...
      Last edited by Slithery; 19 January 2022, 11:16 AM.

Comment

RX 6500 XT Linux benchmarks in a few days....
        Would it be possible to test lower-end cards like this from office workflow perspective? For instance, I have 2 4k screens, one of which is rotated, and my 1030 is really struggling to keep up with the workload--it is slow, picture is occasionally flickering, and when running zoom then everything almost freezes. Unfortunately there is very little information available regarding desktop performance with multiple screens. What I'd like is someone just to attach two high-res screens to the card, and then use it for their regular desktop tasks for a few days, and comment on speed and stability. The more windows/desktops open the better. An added bonus were to run such setting for weeks to see if there are any stability issues.

6500XT sounds like a card I might try for such a setup, although for now I will get wx3100. But again, I can find it's gaming benchmarks or CAD support, but not a hint about how well does it work with multiple high-res screens.

Thank you for consideration!

Comment

I've just watched the usual review videos. Oh boy, AMD really let consumers down with this launch, as these times were not depressing enough already. It is even worse than a RX 590 more often than not which also performs much better on PCIE Gen3 plattforms. The market would have been better served if they produced more Polaris cards in volume instead of this waste of silicon. This shameless cash grab needs to be called out and thankfully the reviewers just did that. I'd be willing to buy from an unknown Chinese GPU manufacturer by now if it offered better value and somewhat usable drivers. We need way more competition to show these companies what to do if they are kicking us consumers in the gut with products such as this.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
            Edit - Just checked Ebay prices for my card, it's going for £340 second hand at the moment. Gulp...
            Not gonna lie, one of my plans was to sell my 4GB RX 580 at a massive profit and live off my APU until I could buy a newer GPU like this; just a bit of a sidegrade for efficiency...unfortunately I bought a 4000 series APU...

The LOL, and what really confuses me about this GPU, is that a lot of home users buying OEM PCs will also have 4000 series APUs. They primary OEM APU from the past year is incompatible with this GPU. Who TF at AMD is making their decisions now? Was there a change in AMD management recently?

Comment

Well, at first these GPU will be used in new PCs for the most part, and there PCIE 4.0 will be available. It's just no reasonable upgrade for many people. That's fair even not being glorious.

I also generally get why AMD produces a new low performing card. I don't like the prices, but all prices are currently high and it's cheaper than the next step up. I get why AMD integrated only 2 display outputs, that's fair, too. But I absolutely don't get why they crippled the media capabilities beyond repair. That will hurt casual users, too and will be hurting the product in the target audience. Even if not everyone needs encoding capabilities, but crippling video playback features just plainly hurts my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                But I absolutely don't get why they crippled the media capabilities beyond repair. That will hurt casual users, too and will be hurting the product in the target audience. Even if not everyone needs encoding capabilities, but crippling video playback features just plainly hurts my head.
                The primary use of Navi24 will be in laptops paired with a Rembrandt APU, which has full video functionality and Gen4 PCIE.

My impression was that it was just encode that was limited in Navi24, not decode - still not sure if that limitation is real or just a typo on the product page. Trying to find out a definitive answer.
                Last edited by bridgman; 19 January 2022, 01:31 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
                  No, I don't see anybody sane will "upgrade" to this card. there is no market for it except pre-built PCs.
                  Don't be such a princess. It is an upgrade for anyone using the integrated graphics of their CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    I've just watched the usual review videos. Oh boy, AMD really let consumers down with this launch, as these times were not depressing enough already. It is even worse than a RX 590 more often than not which also performs much better on PCIE Gen3 plattforms. The market would have been better served if they produced more Polaris cards in volume instead of this waste of silicon. This shameless cash grab needs to be called out and thankfully the reviewers just did that. I'd be willing to buy from an unknown Chinese GPU manufacturer by now if it offered better value and somewhat usable drivers. We need way more competition to show these companies what to do if they are kicking us consumers in the gut with products such as this.
                    They should have just kept POLARIS going and further optimized it on the old 14LPP node. As I commented on the different thread recently, the costs associated with the current state of the art fabrication processes make it prohibitive for low cost parts. Clearly they've attempted to mitigate this by reducing the complexity and transistor count of the chip to make it as small as possible to maximize yield, but that has only compromised the design. They could have just re-released the RX590 and called it something else, and had much better margins, it's not like that isn't something they've done before!

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      Why call it 6500 XT then? Makes 0 sense.
                      It supports newer features. Performance won't be exactly the same, because it's a smaller, narrower chip @ higher clocks with infinity cache. So, it would be seriously misleading if they'd call it the same thing.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      If not the crisis in the industry this should have been RX 6300 XT and cost something like $75.
                      Maybe it would cost that much, if the supply/demand situation settled down, but don't forget that parts and materials costs have also gone up. So, it's not just AMD pocketing all the extra as pure profit.

Comment

Working...
                      X