No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W Launches As Newer, Faster $10 Single Board Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My TP-Link MR3020 acting as small smart home hub is laughing at this discussion about slow CPU and low amounts of RAM

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
      My TP-Link MR3020 acting as small smart home hub is laughing at this discussion about slow CPU and low amounts of RAM
      Yeah, and I too could joining this discussion comparing CPU and RAM between my Arduino, and the AMD Threadripper cluster node on which I am currently running my science experiments...

AKA different machines, with different target uses.

Comment

Still no power management? Like ehm.. suspend modes?

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
          I would have really liked to see 1GB of ram.
          Yeah, especially since going to 64-bit does use more memory.

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
          Hopefully it comes out as an upgrade at some point when chips are cheaper.
          I wonder if anyone can comment on the prospect of getting an 8 Gbit LPDDR2 chip, in the future. Do RAM makers ever upgrade old tech like that?
          Last edited by coder; 28 October 2021, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I just noticed it appears to be the SoC from the initial run of Pi 3 that had worse thermals. Even limiting it to 1 GHz is not enough to prevent clock throttling, especially without a heatsink.

I tried 3 different heatsinks on that board, and still couldn't keep it from throttling in CPU stress tests! I always used a decent heatsink compound, too.

Comment

I have 7 RPi devices at home serving different purposes but seeing this is great and all but then I remember it will be 3x that price locally in Australia IF I can ever find stock within the next 12 months

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                Nice bump from 1x -> 4x cores. Will make a noticeable difference. Not too worried about the 512MB ram. You can always download ram later.
                That's what Bittorrent was invented to do!

Comment

I actually bought the old RPI Zero W to see how my software are running on low end hardware.

It is a pity that they are using BCM2710 SoC instead of BCM2837 as in the RPI3.
                  I have not looked at the datasheet yet, but this possible means that we have to add support for yet another SoC in our projects (non-linux related)

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

That's what Bittorrent was invented to do!
                    What is that? A torrent for ants? My torrent needs to be at least MiB tall!

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                      Yeah, especially since going to 64-bit does use more memory.

I assume the default configuration will ship with a 32-bit OS (or at least a 32-bit userland), as is still done on the Raspberry Pi 4 IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                      X