Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNU Coreutils 9.0: cp Now Enables CoW By Default + Copy Offload, wc Now Uses AVX2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Coreutils 9.0: cp Now Enables CoW By Default + Copy Offload, wc Now Uses AVX2

Phoronix: GNU Coreutils 9.0: cp Now Enables CoW By Default + Copy Offload, wc Now Uses AVX2

Coreutils 9.0 is now available and it's a significant update to this collection of common open-source utilities found on effectively all Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I bet it wouldn't get into Kubuntu 21.10, would it?

Comment

GNU Coreutils are great, I don't know why my Ubuntu version of netcat is the OpenBSD version which sucks, it only has short options not long options.
      Last edited by uid313; 24 September 2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

"cp now enables copy-on-write (CoW) support by default..."

What means this? I mean, these gnus ain't stupid and don't go around gratuitously breaking things. So what happens e.g. when rsnapshot uses cp to backup files from one file system to another? And what does sync do?

Comment

Copy on write requires filesystem support. But if the filesystem supports it, the copy will essentially be metadata only and only changed blocks will be stored if either copy gets modified.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            [common open-source utilities found on effectively all Linux systems...
            Not really all of them. In embedded and not-quite-embedded it's common to just use busybox, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
              What means this?
              in some circumstances it will be much faster
              I mean, these gnus ain't stupid and don't go around gratuitously breaking things.
              of course not
              So what happens e.g. when rsnapshot uses cp to backup files from one file system to another?
              same as before
              And what does sync do?
              what sync?

Comment

What means this? I mean, these gnus ain't stupid and don't go around gratuitously breaking things. So what happens e.g. when rsnapshot uses cp to backup files from one file system to another? And what does sync do?
                If you're copying between filesystems, it means absolutely nothing. But if you're copying a file within a filesystem and that filesystem supports copy-on-write, then the copy is essentially just a pointer to the same disk as the original — until either of the copies is modified, at which point the filesystem needs to deal with it. So as long as the copies remain identical, you're not using any extra space by having them.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  GNU Coreutils are great, I don't know why my Ubuntu version of the OpenBSD version of netcat which sucks, it only has short options not long options.
                  Netcat is not a part of Coreutils, and iirc most of the major implementations of netcat have not been updated in 10 years or more since Netcat is relatively stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                    But if you're copying a file within a filesystem and that filesystem supports copy-on-write, then the copy is essentially just a pointer to the same disk as the original — until either of the copies is modified, at which point the filesystem needs to deal with it. So as long as the copies remain identical, you're not using any extra space by having them.
                    So basically - for lack of a better term - preemptive dedup.

Comment

Working...
                    X