Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 6.14 Implements More 32-bit To 64-bit Thunks, Updated Mono

Phoronix: Wine 6.14 Implements More 32-bit To 64-bit Thunks, Updated Mono

Wine developers have popped open a new bi-weekly development snapshot of this software that allows Windows games/applications to run on Linux and macOS along with being what powers Valve's Steam Play (Proton) and CodeWeavers' CrossOver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know how much of the Windows API/ABI is implemented in Wine? I don't know how I could find this out, Google search isn't giving me any useful results.

Comment

EDIT: Made some updates to my build script. And added a commit with some instructions on how to get 5.4 LTS, 5.10 LTS, and 5.13 mainline going in different flavors if anyone is interested. I'll get a readme going soon but at least this commit message has enough to get going

---

Who'd a thunk it...

Semi-off topic and I've already really said too much, but I heard the script to build your own kernel that perpetually high shared the other day in the Xanmod thread has both futex and futex2 built in on the 5.13 version, could be just a rumor though
      Code:
      $ uname -a
      Linux ubuntu 5.13.6-051306+customfull-generic #051306+202107251230 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 30 00:00:03 PDT 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ dmesg | grep -i 'futex'
      [ 0.151200] futex hash table entries: 1024 (order: 4, 65536 bytes, linear)
      [ 0.151200] futex2 hash table entries: 1024 (order: 2, 24576 bytes, linear)
      Haters wil say it's faked. Too bad, could have really put their i9's or new shiny 8c/16t Ryzen's to real use.. too bad
      Last edited by perpetually high; 01 August 2021, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Autodesk 3dx Max
        (should be 3ds)

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
          could be just a rumor though
          Haters wil say it's faked.
          What?

Comment

Originally posted by loligans View Post
            Does anyone know how much of the Windows API/ABI is implemented in Wine? I don't know how I could find this out, Google search isn't giving me any useful results.

Now the real question should be how much of the RELEVANT API is implemented. Windows got lots of functions that nobody (or at least very few) use.
            This is very similar to people who believe that some software is unstable because it has hundreds of bugs registered. Those people tend to not understand that the severity of the bug is far more important. For example a disk driver that reads the same data twice may not be dangerous at all , but it is a nasty bug still. A close button that is one pixel off may not be critical. Same with Wine , not everything needs to be implemented or even work for it to be useful.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

What?
              LOL, don't take too many things I say seriously, but the script is for real.

Comment

Originally posted by loligans View Post
                Wine did try to keep stats like this for a while but then removed that information. The reality is percentage of Windows API/ABI done mostly end up being a garbage number. You have to remember wine still supports running win16 applications even on 64 bit operating systems. Yes MS Windows does not support win16 on 64 bit versions of Windows.

There are a lot of places where wine support API/ABI that current version of windows has in fact removed. This leads to a fun problem technically current wine support more windows API/ABI than 64 bit windows 10 of course this does not mean wine will run more current applications than windows 10.(this should explain why its a garbage number)

The unit test number is kind more useful but it also shows another set of problems. Wine has 775 unit tests. 39 of them fail with wine out right 376 throwing warning as in known not to function right. Please note 34 for the wine unit test fail with windows 10 interesting enough across 3 different install of windows 10 only 1 of those 34 fails are common to them all. This is basically a mess. Windows API/ABI support is not consistent across Microsoft Windows installs either.

Lot of programs have quirk handling when coded for windows. This does explain why at times you have a new program that the developers claim to have well and truly tested and you put it on your windows computer and it breaks badly with the developers claim of proper testing being true. Yes your Windows install may have a slightly different functional Windows API/ABI to the ones the developers tested with even if you have the exact same update level and version of windows.

Comment

Who'd a thunk it...

Semi-off topic and I've already really said too much, but I heard the script to build your own kernel that perpetually high shared the other day in the Xanmod thread has both futex and futex2 built in on the 5.13 version, could be just a rumor though
                  Code:
                  $ uname -a
                  Linux ubuntu 5.13.6-051306+customfull-generic #051306+202107251230 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 30 00:00:03 PDT 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ dmesg | grep -i 'futex'
                  [ 0.151200] futex hash table entries: 1024 (order: 4, 65536 bytes, linear)
                  [ 0.151200] futex2 hash table entries: 1024 (order: 2, 24576 bytes, linear)
                  Haters wil say it's faked. Too bad, could have really put their i9's or new shiny 8c/16t Ryzen's to real use.. too bad
                  I fully expect Valve to use a custom Linux 5.10 LTS kernel with the "Futex2" patches included for the Steam Deck.
                  This should also have the benefit to provide enough incentive to finally accept this functionality for inclusion into upstream, too.

Just like how Android's IPC mechanism called "Binder" was merged by Greg-KH because it was already battle-hardened by literally shipping on billions of devices.

So even if one is not personally interested in the Steam Deck, VALVe's amazing work will nevertheless benefit the greater Linux ecosystem once again!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

I fully expect Valve to use a custom Linux 5.10 LTS kernel with the "Futex2" patches included for the Steam Deck.
                    This should also have the benefit to provide enough incentive to finally accept this functionality for inclusion into upstream, too.

Just like how Android's IPC mechanism called "Binder" was merged by Greg-KH because it was already battle-hardened by literally shipping on billions of devices.

So even if one is not personally interested in the Steam Deck, VALVe's amazing work will nevertheless benefit the greater Linux ecosystem once again!
                    Agreed. Have you done much benchmarking with futex2? I haven't done much gaming lately but I still add it in. Are you finding it really helps a lot? Or are you referring to just the concept of futex2 in general.

Comment

Working...
                    X