• Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Asuskeyboarddude WTF!!

Comment

On G14 You can do something like that

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        No kernel update can fix the lack of a web cam on this stupid laptop!
        IMHO, that's a good thing. No built-in camera that'll maybe perform bad, go obsolete in a few years, or to make a person paranoid and put tape over. If a person needs a web cam then they can buy one and power it from the USB port.

Comment

What about noise levels at idle and under load?

Comment

Well, arch linux is a natural choice for this kind of machines. Outdated ubuntu doesn't even ship pipewire. Maybe they're implementing their own mirwire, just waiting for the bazaar repo to appear any day now.

Comment

I'm a year or few away from replacing my ThinkPad P70, but a laptop with this kind of CPU in a mobile workstation config -- 17" UHD or 3840x2400 wide gamut display, multiple M.2 and 2.5" drive bays, built-in 2.5, 5, or 10GbE, 4 DIMM slots -- would be great. Granted, as long as I'm working from home it's less critical, but I like machines of that type.

Comment

JFC - they're STILL coloring the newbtastic WASD keys?! (or "The arrow keys of 2001", if you prefer). That's just embarrassing, even for a machine targeted at teenagers.
                (Most of whom will be playing Fortnite and using like 1 core of this thing...)

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  Well, arch linux is a natural choice for this kind of machines. Outdated ubuntu doesn't even ship pipewire. Maybe they're implementing their own mirwire, just waiting for the bazaar repo to appear any day now.
                  Arch or Fedora depending the users requirements. I actively work on issues with most ASUS ROG style laptops https://asus-linux.org/

Comment

Originally posted by rlkrlk View Post
                    I'm a year or few away from replacing my ThinkPad P70, but a laptop with this kind of CPU in a mobile workstation config -- 17" UHD or 3840x2400 wide gamut display, multiple M.2 and 2.5" drive bays, built-in 2.5, 5, or 10GbE, 4 DIMM slots -- would be great. Granted, as long as I'm working from home it's less critical, but I like machines of that type.
                    Not sure about 4k display I've been waiting for one in AMD based laptop for years, so far I've seen only one - ASUS ROG Flow X13. As good as it is I won't pick it as workstation. There is certain lack of AMD based workstation laptops so far.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                      Damn performance but bad Linux support....
                      Bad Ubuntu support, not Linux. Ubuntu is always really bad choice for cutting edge hardware recently released, they don't care about functional kernel/firmware updates, only provide security fixes from the moment when a new Ubuntu version is released.
                      Fedora or Arch or anything Arch based will give you a really good experience, we at ASUS Linux community are having working to getting such laptops working as best as possible, but ubuntu is just not worth it getting all the things update with some weird PPA. You can check out our guides here https://asus-linux.org/wiki/

Comment

Working...
                      X