Linux Mint 20.2 Released With Cinnamon 5.0 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post

I meant by show no effort publicly about a Wayland implementation with Muffin ... pretending that Wayland it's a very distant thing in the future it's a little odd nowadays.
    Fair enough.

Comment

Looks really nice. That wallpaper is really slick, and I really like the black/green color scheme, as usual.

Wow there sure are a lot of whiners on this board these days. Some of you must be getting paid per whine or something.

Comment

Tried Mint for a while but found Ubuntu Mate performs better and offer much more flexibility to me. Especially love the awesome little fun toy: Mate Tweak, really love this one!

Comment

Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
          One thing that doesn't use any extra RAM is a decent colour scheme. The current one for Linux Mint looks absolutely awful. Virtually all black with a weird green highlight.
          I think it's supposed to resemble mint chocolate

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

The major difference is that xfce (and MATE) has unremovable screen tearing, while Cinnamon doesn't.
            there is no tearing in xfce, what year did you last try it? there is also an xpresent vs glx toggle for xfwm4... but DEs arent necessarily limited to their own compositors anyway

the different gfx drivers also have their own potential vsync options separate from compositors

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Looks really nice. That wallpaper is really slick, and I really like the black/green color scheme, as usual.

Wow there sure are a lot of whiners on this board these days. Some of you must be getting paid per whine or something.
              Nice? It's virtually pitch black. If you installed this on your grandmother's PC she'd complain the monitor was broken.

Linux Mint seems to be appealing to the teenager gamer crowd and vampires.

How is granny/newbie windows switcher going to turn their PC off when the shutdown button is black, and the menu behind it is black?

Comment

calc , so why do they ship a default theme with the shutdown button, lock screen button, and terminal icon practically invisible?

Plenty of people never change from the defaults, so they can't even get that right...
                Nice? It's virtually pitch black. If you installed this on your grandmother's PC she'd complain the monitor was broken.

Linux Mint seems to be appealing to the teenager gamer crowd and vampires.

How is granny/newbie windows switcher going to turn their PC off when the shutdown button is black, and the menu behind it is black?
                I wasn't sure what you were going on about before, but I suspect the issue is the color calibration on your screen is either way off or you are partially blind (no offense intended).

If you do have accessibility issues with contrast you can switch to a very high contrast theme.

However the contrast is reasonable at least on my screen between the widgets you mentioned.

The below screenshot, which is using the default theme, will probably still look bad on whatever you used to look at LM before but if you look at it on a properly calibrated screen it should be clear that there is a LOT of contrast between the widgets you mentioned.

Or the included light theme:

Last edited by calc; 08 July 2021, 05:31 PM.

Comment

calc ,

I used the KDE Kontrast tool to measure the ratio between the shutdown button and the menu in your screenshot - 1.37 i.e. terrible. Are you a graphics designer yourself? I find it hard to believe that anybody could rationally argue that black icons on a near-black menu is a good thing.

If Mint was a sophisticated modern distribution they'd have an invertible .svg iconset for all the key icons. Look at how KDE does it - on a dark theme the system icons are white. In your screnshots the icons don't change.

Also, I am well aware that you can change the wallpaper, or choose 35 different colour schemes. My point was that default shouldn't look like a joke.

And I haven't even mentioned that they're stuck on Kernel 5.4 which won't even boot on most modern equipment, such as my AMD laptop.

Mint's day to shine was about 10 years ago.

Comment

calc ,I used the KDE Kontrast tool to measure the ratio between the shutdown button and the menu in your screenshot - 1.37 i.e. terrible. Are you a graphics designer yourself? I find it hard to believe that anybody could rationally argue that black icons on a near-black menu is a good thing.
                    I'm not sure what 1.37 means in this context since I don't use KDE, but the mid-grey (Gray30) background is ~ 2.40x the color value of the buttons (4D4D4D vs 202020).

#4d4d4d color hex Gray30, #4d4d4d color chart,rgb,hsl,hsv color number values, html css color codes and html code samples.

The background color is not even close to black so you either have a bad display or are near-blind.

And I haven't even mentioned that they're stuck on Kernel 5.4 which won't even boot on most modern equipment, such as my AMD laptop.
                    LM ships two ISOs and has for both the 20.1 and 20.2 releases, one with the original 5.4 kernel and one with the hwe-edge 5.8 kernel.

Email validation helps ensure your email messages reach real people. Clean up your list with ZeroBounce’s email verification service.
                    Last edited by calc; 08 July 2021, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post

I'm not sure what 1.37 means in this context since I don't use KDE, but the mid-grey (Gray30) background is ~ 240% the color value of the buttons (4D4D4D vs 202020).

#4d4d4d color hex Gray30, #4d4d4d color chart,rgb,hsl,hsv color number values, html css color codes and html code samples.

The background color is not even close to black so you either have a bad display or are near-blind.

LM ships two ISOs and has for both the 20.1 and 20.2 releases, one with the original 5.4 kernel and one with the hwe-edge 5.8 kernel.

https://mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/stable/20.2/
                      It's funny how you resort to ad-homenims to try and make your case.

So why is it that everybody else (KDE, Apple, Gnome, Microsoft) all use icon inversion with dark themes i.e. white/light icons, and Linux Mint doesn't?

Or perhaps the excellent Dark Reader browser extension:

Dark mode on all websites. Care your eyes, use Dark Reader for night and daily browsing. For Chrome and Firefox, Edge and Safari.

There's a lot more sophistication to a decent dark theme then merely swapping a few panel colours around. It seems to me that the folks at Mint thought that they'd try and make their ageing distro a bit more "trendy" without really understanding what they were doing.
                      Last edited by tornado99; 08 July 2021, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X