Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libzip 1.8 Released With Support For Zstd Compressed ZIP Files

Phoronix: Libzip 1.8 Released With Support For Zstd Compressed ZIP Files

Libzip as the widely-used C library for accessing. creating, and modifying Zip archives is out with a new feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Doesn't ZIP means that the files are each compressed individually? Then only with large text files there is probably a use for ZSTD/LZMA.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
      Doesn't ZIP means that the files are each compressed individually? Then only with large text files there is probably a use for ZSTD/LZMA.
      Yes, ZIP compresses files individually.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
        Yes, ZIP compresses files individually.
        and contains a directory at the end of the file, making file-level random access possible.

Comment

I wish something like ZIP existed for Linux... (and Unix in general)
          Currently we have tar, but is often paired with some compression algorithm, which makes the format linear (have to read the whole archive to read just one file).
          It was its intended use back then (tape archive), but tell me. Who uses tapes for backup that often?

The only ZIP equivalents I found are:
          - SquashFS: sadly, I don't think it supports in-place editing of an archive, and mostly used as a file system
          - DAR: sadly, mostly unheard of

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I wish something like ZIP existed for Linux... (and Unix in general)
            Currently we have tar, but is often paired with some compression algorithm, which makes the format linear (have to read the whole archive to read just one file).
            It was its intended use back then (tape archive), but tell me. Who uses tapes for backup that often?

The only ZIP equivalents I found are:
            - SquashFS: sadly, I don't think it supports in-place editing of an archive, and mostly used as a file system
            - DAR: sadly, mostly unheard of
            ZIP is completely usable on Linux/Unices and has been for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
              and contains a directory at the end of the file, making file-level random access possible.
              I guess you're joking? Zip is also horrible for streaming access. Have to wait until the end of the file to do anything. People should just let this bastard format die. Is there some company still developing Zip?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

ZIP is completely usable on Linux/Unices and has been for a while.
                Yep, but then you lose Unix-style permissions, user and group IDs, and attributes/ACLs because it's a DOS/Windows-centric format.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Yep, but then you lose Unix-style permissions, user and group IDs, and attributes/ACLs because it's a DOS/Windows-centric format.
                  This isn't accurate. You need to pass paramaters to unzip (-X, -K) however when extracting them. Even when using more commonly used formats in Linux, you do often have to account for permissions with parameters (ex: --selinux when using tar)

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

I guess you're joking? Zip is also horrible for streaming access. Have to wait until the end of the file to do anything. People should just let this bastard format die. Is there some company still developing Zip?
                    Yes. The latest spec from pkware is from 2020 and is available at https://pkware.cachefly.net/webdocs/...es/APPNOTE.TXT and there are multiple active implementations in Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X