KWinFT Going Through Code Refactoring, Working On WLROOTS-Based Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWinFT Going Through Code Refactoring, Working On WLROOTS-Based Usage

Phoronix: KWinFT Going Through Code Refactoring, Working On WLROOTS-Based Usage

Announced last year was KWinFT as a fork of KDE's KWin to focus on improving the Wayland support more rapidly and incorporating other modern technologies. KWinFT has been making progress on advancing its code-base while in recent months it was seemingly more quiet. However, it turns out KWinFT is alive and well and has been going through some code refactoring while preparing for the next wave of feature work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While I'm not sure I like the developer behind KWinFT (I think he attacked Vlad's competence because of the code size of a patch which is a huge nono in my book), I enjoy the idea of KWin using wlroots.

Realistically, I doubt this will ever be upstreamed until wlroots gets API stability and even then, I don't think that the KDE devs would like to drop a piece of software they've poured sweat, blood and countless hours into.
    Last edited by kvuj; 13 June 2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kvuj View Post
      While I'm not sure I like the developer behind KWinFT (I think he attacked Vlad's competence because of the code size of a patch which is a huge nono in my book), I enjoy the idea of KWin using wlroots.

Realistically, I doubt this will ever be upstreamed until wlroots gets API stability and even then, I don't think that the KDE devs would like to drop a piece of software they've poured sweat, blood and countless hours into.
      I think he criticized the amount of complexity that Vlad was adding to kwin instead of simplifying it.

Comment

I'm all in for using Wlroots: while I'm not familiar with the library itself I really think that wayland compositors could use some code sharing.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Maybe one day we'll have a single extendable window manager/server for Wayland akin to Xorg but that shouldn't distract Wayland lovers from its greatness and the fact that each DE for Wayland has to reinvent the wheel and reimplement a ton of features just to allow for common features found in Xorg by default. Cue for a ton of errors, corner cases, etc. each Wayland compositor has to tackle and resolve. Anyways, disregard this message as I'm an idiot who just doesn't understand Wayland and the absolute beauty of it.

Comment

I can only wish that the KDE developers will come to their senses and discuss the possibility of adopting KWinFT. Even with Plasma 5.22 the Wayland experience is still a bit rough around the edges; althought its at least usable in production. Making WLROOTS a de-facto standard for desktop compositors would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by kvuj View Post

kwin is a joke and KDE dev focus on X11 instead of Wayland is not a wise thing to do

X11 is dead
              and graphic in Linux is suck
              there no decent hardware acceleration support in Linux like other operating systems
              and Wayland is the only hope to do something about this mess and I know Wayland is not perfect about sill better than nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post

kwin is a joke and KDE dev focus on X11 instead of Wayland is not a wise thing to do

X11 is dead
                and graphic in Linux is suck
                there no decent hardware acceleration support in Linux like other operating systems
                and Wayland is the only hope to do something about this mess and I know Wayland is not perfect about sill better than nothing
                Kwin may not be perfect for Wayland, but for a long long time 100% of the new feature work in Kwin has been Wayland-exclusive. I'm not saying they won't fix a bug in X11 code, but modern Kwin is very much a Wayland compositor first with X11 being secondary these days.

Comment

Wlroots branch feels better than vanilla kwin for me.

Comment

Maybe one day we'll have a single extendable window manager/server for Wayland akin to Xorg but that shouldn't distract Wayland lovers from its greatness and the fact that each DE for Wayland has to reinvent the wheel and reimplement a ton of features just to allow for common features found in Xorg by default. Cue for a ton of errors, corner cases, etc. each Wayland compositor has to tackle and resolve. Anyways, disregard this message as I'm an idiot who just doesn't understand Wayland and the absolute beauty of it.
                    I think what you'll find is we all have different needs and requirements of our desktops and for some of us we have no issues or less issues with Wayland vs x11. It sounds like most of your issues here with people are self made. With time almost any price of software matures and issues become less relevant. Patience, time and the slow, steady march of progress improve things. Being a developer yourself I'm sure you understand no one can force developers to support a stack they do not wish to and last I checked the proposal for improvements is open to anyone and typically agreed and followed by everyone that wanted to involve themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X