Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zstd 1.5 Released With Big Performance Improvements

Phoronix: Zstd 1.5 Released With Big Performance Improvements

Zstd has already been enjoying phenomenal growth throughout the open-source software ecosystem thanks to its feature set and impressive performance, but can it get even better? Yes, with Zstd 1.5 that is out today there are some more mighty impressive performance improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. Will these changes be integrated into linux kernel and.. btrfs for example?

Comment

Is it time for me to switch everything in my kernel config from LZ4 to zstd? Any reason not to?

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
        Nice. Will these changes be integrated into linux kernel and.. btrfs for example?
        There's a pull request to ease the process of upgrading zstd. It's for zstd v1.4.10 tough.

Comment

Cool. zstd was already kicking ass, and this just makes it better; thank you fine folks.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            Is it time for me to switch everything in my kernel config from LZ4 to zstd? Any reason not to?
            Sadly - nope. The optimizations mentioned in zstd 1.5 are only for levels 5-12. LZ4 is from the speed side rather about level 1...

Comment

I just don't see why it's called Zstd, where's the Facebook in it? Why not FckStd?

Comment

cl333r maybe it's Z for Zuckerberg?

Comment

Originally posted by useless View Post

There's a pull request to ease the process of upgrading zstd. It's for zstd v1.4.10 tough.
                  I'm using pf-kernel on Archlinux which already includes 1.4.10 version: https://gitlab.com/post-factum/pf-kernel/-/tags

All my partitions are Btrfs and compressed, and it has been running stable for the last two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                    No. Not really. All you'll do is noticeably increase compression time during the packaging phase for an unnoticeable amount of decompression speed on boot. The only reason I'd use Zstd over LZ4 in regards to kernel images would be if I were dealing with an extremely low storage space situation where every byte matters.

Comment

Working...
                    X