Unvanquished 0.52 Beta Released For Open-Source, First-Person RTS Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unvanquished 0.52 Beta Released For Open-Source, First-Person RTS Game

Phoronix: Unvanquished 0.52 Beta Released For Open-Source, First-Person RTS Game

Following this week's id Tech 3 based Daemon engine update, the open-source first person shooter / real-time strategy game Unvanquished has just issued its long overdue v0.52 beta release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just tried it out, and it quite nice. It seems to be mostly bots on the servers, not much real players though.

The graphics is quite good, the engine seems to be really good, it is fast. At high graphics settings I get 60+ fps with a Intel integrated GPU on an old Intel 4770K, at settings at ultra I get 40+ fps.

So the engine is fast and it looks quite good. It looks quite comparable to other modern commercial games. It looks like the Unvaniqusished team has done a good job with beefing up the good old id Tech 3 engine that powered Quake III Arena from 1999, that was 22 years ago.
    Last edited by uid313; 14 May 2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      The graphics is quite good, the engine seems to be really good, it is fast. At high graphics settings I get 60+ fps with a Intel integrated GPU on an old Intel 4770K, at settings at ultra I get 40+ fps.

So the engine is fast and it looks quite good. It looks quite comparable to other modern commercial games. It looks like the Unvaniqusished team has done a good job with beefing up the gold id Tech 3 engine that powered Quake III Arena from 1999, that was 22 years ago.
      I'm happy that works well for you! We care to get the gaming experience to be good on average hardware !

I just tried it out, and it quite nice. It seems to be mostly bots on the servers, not much real players though.
      We currently don't have a community that can fill the server 24/24, it looks like you passed by just after we played for 2 hours. 😀

I highly recommend you to join our chat, there is IRC channels on freenode (must use registered user) and discord, more information there: unvanquished.net/chat

There is a bot on the chat that announces when people are playing. With the week-end for sure you'll get occasions to play with real players against real players. 😉

Comment

First person RTS concept always interested me as is really nieche genre. First time I played such game, it was some multiplayer Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis mod. There were iterations and variants of it for any later Bohemia Interactive titles.
        I might check this game out!
        Last edited by reavertm; 15 May 2021, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I took a look. Seems to run great but not my cup of tea. (Translated; I suck at those kinda of games)

Comment

Working...
          X