Ubuntu 21.04 Released With Wayland By Default, New Dark Theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    I've got use to dealing with display issues and software oddities (I use compat layers like wine and stuff) with X11. Switching to Wayland introduces a whole new slew of problems I must figure out, understand, and resolve, if possible. So I'm holding off from using Wayland until is super mature and solid as a rock....
    Since there is no common Wayland display server, this last part is highly dependent on the DE/WM you choose to run. Not all of them are created equal.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Ubuntu is not a bleeding edge distro. If you want bleeding edge, use something else
      Stop suggesting to use something else when you know very well the package formats fragmentation !
      I have a few .deb packages that I really need so I cannot move to anything else non-Debian based.
      I'm not using Linux to just browse the web.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

What do you mean LXQt doesn't work on Wayland yet? Lubuntu with LXQt has supported it since 20.10: https://news.softpedia.com/news/afte...0-522370.shtml
        the Lubuntu developers, who aim for the Lubuntu 20.10 release in two years from now, on October 2020
        This is an Article from 2018 where they did plan to support wayland in 2 Years.

Looking at https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/issues/10 it seems like they are still in a planing phase but the Diskussion was quite active a few days ago

Comment

This will be the first new version of Ubuntu I have skipped since reverting back to 18.04 from 18.10. I'm going to let everyone else battletest Wayland in production settings and give feedback to make it really rock solid for 21.10 and to flesh out any use cases heretofore unknown. Also, I really want Gnome 4x.x and the slight Yaru theme changes in 21.04 are nice, it's not compelling enough for me to change just yet. Maybe if the Wayland news is good by this late summer when 21.04.2 is out I may switch over briefly before 21.10.

Comment

Why would you leave out the Active Directory part? Ubuntu can now be configured via Group Policy, which is yuuuuuge.

Comment

TE=144Hz;n1252625]Jumbotron Why don’t you just pick Xorg at the login screen? 21.04 got any 6 six months of stable work on top of GNOME 3.38. It’s more LTS than LTS.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I will but call me superstitious but ever since coming to Ubuntu in 2014 from SUSE it seems in MY experience (YMMV) that the Spring updates were more sketchy than the Fall updates (with my aforementioned 18.10 being a notable exception).

I did the whole Default to Wayland_Swtich Back to X.org_Dance with 18.04...was it? Hard to remember. I know it's a button press and a reboot. But at my age and use case, I've got 20.10 finely tuned and stable as a rock. The packages I use don't need to be updated for my needs and the ones that do I have PPAs for. Everything else is a shiny bauble. When that shiny bauble turns into a highly polished gemstone and I can't live without it and it becomes too onerous to work without it than it is to work AROUND it then I'll upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Waiting for Kubuntu !
                Nice that the kernel and Mesa were upgraded.
                Too bad developers didn't try to switch to Pipewire, IWD and Firefox 88, even by delaying the release a bit.
                No, sticking to the consistent release schedule is more important than these things you mentioned.

Comment

From my experience, I think its about time.

I've been using Wayland full time for a while now and it's perfectly fine if your workflow doesn't involve something complex graphically.

And I'm not even using GNOME, which has the most mature Wayland implementation. I'm just using Wayfire and it still works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

No, sticking to the consistent release schedule is more important than these things you mentioned.
                    Yes, that always works out fine. [/sarcasm] iOS is a prime example of why that doesn't work. Apple says "it needs to be released at -insert date-", but quite a few iOS releases had nasty bugs, caused boot loops on a lot of devices or locked people out as their PIN wouldn't work anymore. All because Apple devs couldn't complete their work and testing in time.

So no, sticking to a release schedule is NOT a good idea. And it's not like Canonical never postponed a release before. Remember 6.06? There was a reason it was delayed 2 months (it should've been 6.04).

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                      So I'm holding off from using Wayland until is super mature and solid as a rock....
                      It's not a matter of Wayland not being mature. The Wayland Github isn't all that active. All the biggest improvements in it's adoption have come from other things supporting Wayland better, not from improvements to Wayland.

Originally posted by royce View Post
                      Pipewire ain't anywhere near ready to replace pulseaudio yet.
                      Originally posted by royce View Post
                      Pipewire is indeed available at 0.3. And no, it's not in a state yet to replace pulseaudio besides some anecdotical success stories you might have seen around.
                      I don't understand why people write posts like this. So you say it's not anywhere near ready. What's the point in you saying that if you don't/can't list any reasons why? Right now the anecdotal success stories outnumber the amount of issues with it that I've been able to list in this topic.

I've been using Pipewire and pipewire-pulse for like two months and I haven't run into any issues. Is that anecdotal? Sure, but right now it's worth more than your posts at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X