Microsoft Posts WSLg Preview - GUI App Support With Windows Subsystem For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post
    95% of the world is running Windows, and now you will be able to run your Linux application, unmodified, at full speed, mixed with other applications. Why is this bad for you?
    Because then people will find this easier than installing Linux, so they move on to Windows and Linux usage share drops to 0%.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

I have no problem with anyone amassing a fortune selling any product.

I have a problem with monopolists who use that fortune to prevent others from even existing.

Microsoft doesn't have a good track record when it comes to competition and using it's financial and market muscles to destroy you.

No, I meant not born yesterday and with a historical memory of all past Microsoft market abuses.

If a children serial killer says he's repented you can't trust it with your children just because he says he loves children now when in the past he called children "cancer".
      Exactly! This is my problem with Microsoft. They're focusing more on extinguishing alternatives, and becoming a 100% monopoly. That's bad for capitalism and the free market, and consumer choice.

If they just made a good OS and competed fairly, then great. Except because their OS actually sucks balls, and has now become spyware, they're trying to force people into using only their OS and preventing competition from being possible.

Comment

Do you want to know why I know this WSL thing is another Microsoft tactic to cause harm?

Because there wasn't and there isn't any market demand for it.

It is not a product that anybody wanted.
        Well the *nix command line utilities on Windows would be nice, that's all I really care about. Handy when you're forced to use Windows at work.

Comment

It is not a product that anybody wanted.
          Right right because Cygwin, coLinux and andLinux, mingw, and a ton of other stuff don't exist. It's really hilarious when people say that WSL will make people abandon Linux. Is the only benefit of Linux that it's not Windows or something? From what some of these people say, you'd think so. Is Linux so weak that all it takes for the downfall of desktop linux what amounts to a well integrated thin VM (formerly inverse WINE)? I guess so.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I am just someone who happens to be old enough to remember Microsoft at their EEE finest.

Those saying Microsoft has changed and jumping immediately onto things like WSL and VSCode are damaging the industry. It is embarrassing that so many developers don't learn.
            Yeah, I'd use WSL if I had to work, but personally I'm not interested in it.

And I really don't get why people like VSCode, as far as I can tell it's just a glorified text editor. No different from Atom or SublimeText or Kate. I don't get hwy people love it so much.

It's like those idiot Apple fans who keep saying "iMessage is the best thing ever" but can't actually explain why.

​​​​

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

yes.
              As much as I hate them, their products and their politics, I have to admit that they're doing pretty well fighting against Linux.
              If they were doing pretty well in fighting against Linux, they would never have created WSL. Ity because they're losing market share to Chrome OS (Linux), MacOS and mobile devices, that they're resorting to such things.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

And I really don't get why people like VSCode, as far as I can tell it's just a glorified text editor. No different from Atom or SublimeText or Kate. I don't get hwy people love it so much.

It's like those idiot Apple fans who keep saying "iMessage is the best thing ever" but can't actually explain why.

​​​​

​​​​​
                VSCode, iirc, is basically Atom with modifications and some stuff built in. I guess it's the convenience from that latter part that wins over people?

Also now with WSLg, you can run VSCode on Linux on WSL.

Comment

Originally posted by BesiegedAce View Post

VSCode, iirc, is basically Atom with modifications and some stuff built in. I guess it's the convenience from that latter part that wins over people?

Also now with WSLg, you can run VSCode on Linux on WSL.
                  Lol. Well, I still don't get why people glorify it so much.

People hyped IntelliJ a lot, but it is actually pretty damn good.

VSCode? What exactly is so good about it?

Comment

If they were doing pretty well in fighting against Linux, they would never have created WSL. Ity because they're losing market share to Chrome OS (Linux), MacOS and mobile devices, that they're resorting to such things.
                    this does not contraddict what I wrote: my comment was referred exactly to WSL and, in my opinion, this is working very well for them.
                    It was not referred to what they did before.

Comment

It's like those idiot Apple fans who keep saying "iMessage is the best thing ever" but can't actually explain why.​

​​​​​
                      I think one of the great points for its popularity is how simple and powerful it is for remote development 100% on server side. Most tools out there have a weird mix of job done partly in client side and partly in server side or are just basic ssh and file sync (not all editor's functionality happens on server side). Codespace is the final intent of the concept I think. JetBrains is trying to mimic this with some difficulty through projects like Projector plus Code With Me.

Comment

Working...
                      X