No announcement yet.

Firefox 89 Beta Released With UI Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't use a shitty browser because of the telemetry, which Firefox invites you to check and disable if necessary.
    Among other things, everyone wants quality software, but nobody ever wants the software developer to have access to the data that allows them to improve it. Morale never gets better ... I keep telemetry turned on in both Chromium and Firefox and even Chrome.

Comment

This looks absolutely awful. They're already bleeding users so why push out the diehards as well?

Comment

Firefox 88 upgrade killed my previous saved session (including all tabs that were open at that time), I lost my work, I'm furious now, where the heck did "restore previous session" feature/button go in 88?

Comment

Will be compiling it this weekend. Looks refreshing.

Comment

Originally posted by lamka02sk View Post
            Even after enabling compact mode on FF89, the UI is not compact anymore. On old version the height of tabs + address bar with compact mode is 64px on my monitor. New version is 74px.
            I'm on nightly, and I still have compact mode, same size as well, however, it still shows as "deprecated", apparently a product manager because they assumed compact mode was barely used and had discoverability issues (it wasn't covered by telemetry, so they couldn't even know if the option was actually used). As far as I understand even engineers were against the decision, but it took outcry from users to overture the decision. Last I know they delayed the decision, and supposedly were going to keep track of its usage with telemetry.

Comment

Originally posted by verude View Post

I'm on nightly, and I still have compact mode, same size as well, however, it still shows as "deprecated", apparently a product manager because they assumed compact mode was barely used and had discoverability issues (it wasn't covered by telemetry, so they couldn't even know if the option was actually used). As far as I understand even engineers were against the decision, but it took outcry from users to overture the decision. Last I know they delayed the decision, and supposedly were going to keep track of its usage with telemetry.
              lmao, what is telemetry used for anyway? Compact mode was perhaps the only 'look' feature I found useful. I hope you're right because I find huge icons/decorations disgusting/unnecessary/redundant.

Also, what's up with KDE, GNOME, and now Mozilla placing MANY IMPORTANT menus and options into one drop down icon? I simply don't get it. What am I missing here. You're making me waste time.

Comment

Those tabs look like absolute garbage...
                Lol, I came here to say this. birdie also nailed it.

// EDIT
                They apparently removed support for "compact" mode, which means, we are stuck with these gigantic ugly UI. At least officially. UI density setting in about:config should still work.
                Oooof! I really hope they don't remove that setting entirely. People who use Firefox are mostly not using tablets and are therefore in no need for a fatter UI. I'd rather have the extra space for the actual websites that I visit, especially on a smaller laptop. This trend has to stop... There is a reason why iOS and MacOS are two different operating systems, it doesn't make any sense to have touch UI on a machine with much more precise input devices.
                Last edited by board; 21 April 2021, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duff~ View Post
                  Also, what's up with KDE, GNOME, and now Mozilla placing MANY IMPORTANT menus and options into one drop down icon? I simply don't get it. What am I missing here. You're making me waste time.
                  I'm starting to get a bit paranoid, is Microsoft or Apple secretly paying them to sabotage their UX? It just seems so counter-productive. I'd like Mozilla et.al. to at least try to empirically justify their decision to make their UIs fatter and more simplified, because most of us seem to object to this, and we have been objecting to it since probably the release of Gnome 3.
                  Last edited by board; 21 April 2021, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Ah, baby duck syndrome.

Comment

Tab bar is so huge and very unlikely.

Comment

Working...
                      X