Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT4 With Linux 5.13 Looks Like It Will Support Casefolding With Encryption Enabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 With Linux 5.13 Looks Like It Will Support Casefolding With Encryption Enabled

Phoronix: EXT4 With Linux 5.13 Looks Like It Will Support Casefolding With Encryption Enabled

While EXT4 supports both case-folding for optional case insensitive filenames and does support file-system encryption, at the moment those features are mutually exclusive. But it looks like the upcoming Linux 5.13 kernel will allow casefolding and encryption to be active at the same time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Slightly OT: does anybody know if there are plans to / the is work being done to integrate FS encryption with btrfs?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      Slightly OT: does anybody know if there are plans to / the is work being done to integrate FS encryption with btrfs?
      I'm not a btrfs developer (I just follow their mailing list) but I don't recall to having seen anything related to that subject recently
      Last edited by cynic; 11 April 2021, 01:36 PM. Reason: typo!

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

I'm not a btrfs deloper (I just follow their mailing list) but I don't recall to having seen anything related to that subject recently
        Thanks! Too bad. Integrating encryption to btrfs would probably be more difficult than for ext4. And considering the benchmarks I just looked up it would seem dm-crypt was - at least a few years ago - faster anyway. So probably it is not worth the trouble.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Thanks! Too bad. Integrating encryption to btrfs would probably be more difficult than for ext4. And considering the benchmarks I just looked up it would seem dm-crypt was - at least a few years ago - faster anyway. So probably it is not worth the trouble.

Yes, btrfs over LUKS is quite fast and works well.
          I've been using that combo on all my desktops and notebooks for a decade now and I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
            I've been using that combo on all my desktops and notebooks for a decade now and I'm very happy with it.
            Same here. I merely wondered if not using luks would simplify the set-up.

Comment

Working...
            X