Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.10 LTS Will Only Be Maintained Until EOY 2022 Unless More Companies Step Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.10 LTS Will Only Be Maintained Until EOY 2022 Unless More Companies Step Up

Phoronix: Linux 5.10 LTS Will Only Be Maintained Until EOY 2022 Unless More Companies Step Up

Announced a few years ago was the notion of "extended" LTS kernel versions whereby the long term support cycle would span six years rather than the usual two years for LTS kernels in providing maintenance and bug/security fixes to the codebase. This means Linux 5.4 LTS is supported until the end of 2025, Linux 4.19 until the end of 2024, and even Linux 4.19 until the end of 2024. But with the recently minted Linux 5.10 LTS at least for now it's only being committed to maintenance until the end of next year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For most of us here this probably doesn't matter since we're probably using the latest stable, LTS, or RC. I can maybe see this effecting Ubuntu, Red Hat, SUSE, and other LTS distributions; though those distributions usually use their own custom forks and they're not always LTS kernels so the distros most likely to contribute back aren't even guaranteed to use a long term kernel for the long term.

I guess this really only effects people rolling their own custom distribution for closed door commercial stuff. Everyone else has an LTS solution aside from the recently screwed CentOS users.

Comment

Broadcom? So I'm assuming there is significant overlap between companies clamoring for an LTS kernel and those pushing shorter hardware cycles and update windows on customers?

Comment

Typo "Linux 4.19 until the end of 2024, and even Linux 4.14 until the end of 2024."
        tildearrow to late my friend

Comment

Micheal mentions his pay, but it sounds like he is asking more for companies to commit to supporting their own time more than anything. Testing on hardware takes time as does fixing proposed patches.

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
            Micheal mentions his pay, but it sounds like he is asking more for companies to commit to supporting their own time more than anything. Testing on hardware takes time as does fixing proposed patches.
            Yes, as mentioned in the article he primarily needs help with testing. I mentioned his pay in that he isn't needing money himself for maintaining the kernel.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
              Typo "Linux 4.19 until the end of 2024, and even Linux 4.14 until the end of 2024."
              tildearrow to late my friend
              Thanks fixed.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yes, as mentioned in the article he primarily needs help with testing. I mentioned his pay in that he isn't needing money himself for maintaining the kernel.
                Ok, that makes sense. My(mono-lingual US) understanding of the english language sometimes sucks.

It really is important for companies that depend on oss like the kernel to invest in those projects. From the article this sounds like a tradition. Shouldn’t assume that a company or person is going to support something unless they clearly say so.

Comment

thats a strange request for maintaining 5.10 LTS for more than 2 years. but what do i know....
                  my phone is still on k4.14. does the new phones moved to 5.x kernels? or are still stuck on 4.x?

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                    thats a strange request for maintaining 5.10 LTS for more than 2 years. but what do i know....
                    my phone is still on k4.14. does the new phones moved to 5.x kernels? or are still stuck on 4.x?
                    afaik in the past the old kernel versions had to be kept by android devs because a lot of hardware vendors havent updated their hal. But I have heard they try to be more updated.

Comment

Working...
                    X