Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink OpenGL On Vulkan Now Supports OpenGL 4.2 With Mesa 21.1

Phoronix: Zink OpenGL On Vulkan Now Supports OpenGL 4.2 With Mesa 21.1

It was just earlier this month that mainline Mesa achieved OpenGL 4.1 for Zink, the Gallium3D driver allowing OpenGL to be implemented atop Vulkan. Now OpenGL 4.2 support is in place for this promising Mesa component...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So much progress, so few test articles

Comment

I'm so looking forward to opengl 4.6 in macos on top of moltenvk. What talking to one of the devs and they are waiting for 4.6 to get into main before they push their stuff. Will probably run faster than the native opengl drivers.

Comment

is this vulkan 1.1 too ?

Comment

From https://www.collabora.com/news-and-b...tation-vulkan/:

What does Zink require?

Zink currently requires a Vulkan 1.0 implementation, with the following extensions (there's a few more, due to extensions requiring other extensions, but I've decided to omit those for simplicity):
          • VK_KHR_maintenance1: This is required for the viewport flipping. It's also possible to do without this extension, and we have some experimental patches for that. I would certainly love to require as few extensions as possible.
          • VK_KHR_external_memory_fd: This is required as a way of getting the rendered result on screen. This isn't technically a hard requirement, as we also have a copy-based approach, but that's almost unusably slow. And I'm not sure if we'll bother keeping it around.

Zink has to my knowledge only been tested on Linux. I don't think there's any major reasons why it wouldn't run on any other operating system supporting Vulkan, apart from the fact that some window-system integration code might have to be written.
          So Vulkan 1.0 would already be enough.

Comment

Great to see Zink progressing in mainline Mesa! OpenGL 4.2 is nice and the next patches to complete Zink seem to just wait for review.
            I wonder if I can get KDE Plasma to run in Zink.

Comment

Most importantly many simple games now properly render.

The performance still needs to be improved however, from my test it runs from 5% to 50% compared to intel driver.

Comment

And on the road to OpenGL 4.6, 12 additional features are now marked as done on mesamatrix.net :-)

Comment

Unfortunately still renders only garbage when running Xorg/KWin and Firefox Webrender performance is still bad too.

Comment

I tried Kwin/Wayland with Zink from Mesa 20.3 and it didn't even load the Plasma desktop. I will try to upgrade to Mesa-git now.

Edit: Zink from Mesa-git shows only a black screen with a cursor when starting Kwin/Wayland.
                    Last edited by R41N3R; 22 January 2021, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X