No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.21 Now In Beta With Much Improved Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under Xorg I changed Kwin with Openbox for betting performace (yes, Kwin is a mess for me) in the past, but under Wayland this is not possible because Kwin is mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by markc View Post
      Plasma under Wayland is mostly okay now. The Wayland showstopper for me is that anything running in Xwayland has blurry fonts on a HiDPI display which renders (literally) the whole concept of using a Wayland session completely unusable.
      And no one can fix that. Xwayland is like X, fixed in terms of scaling. Lets say we deal with 200% scaling. So you either render the window half the resolution and scale it up, things have the right size but are blurry, or you render it at native resolution, then things are not blurry but tiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

And no one can fix that. Xwayland is like X, fixed in terms of scaling. Lets say we deal with 200% scaling. So you either render the window half the resolution and scale it up, things have the right size but are blurry, or you render it at native resolution, then things are not blurry but tiny.
        IIRC it's the same on Windows, am I wrong?

Comment

sure you can fix that by AI deep learning upscalling. you can try it manuelly with vector grafic editor you vectorize a pixel image and then you scale it up. nvidia DLSS2 and AMD super resolution does this in hardware.

this is maybe not PERFECT but the result will be much better than what we have now.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

The article is a bit too much fixated on Wayland. Actually KWin's vsync on Xorg was much more needy of improvements and works well now (with non-mixed refresh rates only, of course). Though of course the Wayland improvements are great too and it gets more and more usable.

I btw. just got rid of any launcher in my taskbar and rely only on krunner. It really is a keeper.

Comment

Wrong, they could fix their compositor so that Firefox doesn't crash on Wayland so you won't have to use it under XWayland.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Wrong, they could fix their compositor so that Firefox doesn't crash on Wayland so you won't have to use it under XWayland.
                Bug report?

Comment

If it can render than scale, I see no reason it can't render at native resolution and scale down. It won't look perfect, but most likely better than scaling up.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    Bug report?
                    Pointless, it's broken since forever and everybody knows it. Besides I'm tired of the poor state of Plasma on Wayland and I've recently switched to Gnome.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Pointless, it's broken since forever and everybody knows it. Besides I'm tired of the poor state of Plasma on Wayland and I've recently switched to Gnome.
                      Well, if not using Wayland is a deal breaker for you. Gnome is pretty much your only option for now. Why even bother with Kde when it Plasma Wayland is still at a beta stage, at best?

Comment

Working...
                      X