Ubuntu 21.04 To Stick With GNOME 3.38 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    Smart move. GNOME 40 will be accessible to whoever wants to early adopt. I'm still on 3.36.7 and running 20.04.1 LTS but the desktop is perfect right now. I'm not a new kid on the block either, I've wanted this level of stability/speed/polishness for a while and it's here. Ideally I could run 3.38 but not looking to update right now.

Previously I would've already been on 20.10 and on bleeding edge everything, now I like to think I'm a little wiser and sticking to LTS. I still compile my own tweaked out kernel and run the latest Mesa, so I don't think I'm compromising literally anything by not updating.
    I know that feeling. The older I get, less patience I have to serve as a beta tester for bleeding edge software.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
      From what I understand Gnome 40 will be much more fun on the Wayland backend because of all the new touchpad gestures. So as long as Ubuntu sticks to X11 by default, Gnome 40 won't show it's full potential anyway.
      I never understood why there isn't any freedesktop standard for touchpad gestures. Like I write a program, listen for keyboard and mouse actions, and some service tells me that the user just swiped left with 3 fingers. There should exist such a standard at least 10-15 years by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Paradoxically Fedora is very stable, but I know what you meant.
        Exactly. And even Ubuntu is not stable for everyone. It all depends on the user's hardware, use of 3rd party software, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Siuoq View Post

I never understood why there isn't any freedesktop standard for touchpad gestures. Like I write a program, listen for keyboard and mouse actions, and some service tells me that the user just swiped left with 3 fingers. There should exist such a standard at least 10-15 years by now.
          You mean like libinput-gestures (https://github.com/bulletmark/libinput-gestures) which a lot of distros have already implemented or are shipping it by default?

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            Smart move. GNOME 40 will be accessible to whoever wants to early adopt. I'm still on 3.36.7 and running 20.04.1 LTS but the desktop is perfect right now. I'm not a new kid on the block either, I've wanted this level of stability/speed/polishness for a while and it's here. Ideally I could run 3.38 but not looking to update right now.

Previously I would've already been on 20.10 and on bleeding edge everything, now I like to think I'm a little wiser and sticking to LTS. I still compile my own tweaked out kernel and run the latest Mesa, so I don't think I'm compromising literally anything by not updating.
            For work I'm using 20.04 (popos)..I have stopped experimenting but it still gets a custom kernel. My gaming rig gets the bleeding edge treatment with 20.10 experimental GCC versions and daily mesa builts.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Paradoxically Fedora is very stable, but I know what you meant.
              How's it "paradoxically"? There are plenty of things that are rock-solid but API-unstable (especially in languages like Rust and Haskell) and Fedora is "UI-unstable".

Comment

Wise decision indeed. I hope they are planning to use the extra time to come up with a way to maintain the current vertical layout, either through extensions or through some patches.

Comment

Sounds very boring, sounds like it will be the most boring Ubuntu version ever.

Comment

im not convinced Gnome 40 will be released untill Fedora35

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Sounds very boring, sounds like it will be the most boring Ubuntu version ever.
                      i tend to think a lot of users would use Debian anyway since its more up to date than Ubuntu

Comment

Working...
                      X