Gentoo Saw Total Commits Rise By 42% In 2020, Great Progress On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo Saw Total Commits Rise By 42% In 2020, Great Progress On Wayland

Phoronix: Gentoo Saw Total Commits Rise By 42% In 2020, Great Progress On Wayland

The pandemic didn't adversely impact the Gentoo Linux project's operations with seeing the overall number of commits grow by nearly 42% last year within the Gentoo repository. Gentoo also saw commits from 333 unique authors in 2020, up from 333 the year prior. Plus they've made other improvements too for this technical-minded Linux distribution too during 2020...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gentoo also saw commits from 333 unique authors in 2020, up from 333 the year prior.
    The part of me that's into numerology thinks that's just hilarious. Unfortunately it's a typo

The latter group has featured 333 unique authors in 2019, and 391 in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The part of me that's into numerology thinks that's just hilarious. Unfortunately it's a typo
      2*333 = 666 not good ...

besides 42 !

Comment

I actually spent part of my weekend backing up my computer and using GParted to make space on my laptop hard drive in order to add Gentoo to my dual boot computer in order to take a third chance at Gentoo (my first two were miserable failures - but that was on me not Gentoo). I have to wait a little while longer as this is a computer I do some work at home stuff on and I have to leave Tuesday to work for a couple of weeks with a customer.

I am looking forward to giving Gentoo another shot.
        GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

2*333 = 666 not good ...

besides 42 !
          But 42 is the answer....what is the question? I wonder if the mice who built the computer that was earth programmed it using Gentoo?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Just a note: Btrfs supports subvolumes.
            Thanks...but I know very little about btrfs. It was a bit of a PITA to work the process with ext4 and NTFS. I have a shared home partition - but it had to be NTFS so Windows can see it. That was why the partitioning took so long. I had to make a combined partition and remount my Neon home directory to it so that it and Windows 10 could both use it. I am not sure if I want to try to do the same with Gentoo - if I bork it, I could be screwed - not in the sense of losing my data (I always back that up), but in the sense of have to reload everything again.

As a funny note, I did learn not use a linux distribution to copy files from an NTFS partition to another NTFS partition unless you have a long time. Going from NTFS to ext4 was fast under linux.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

Thanks...but I know very little about btrfs. It was a bit of a PITA to work the process with ext4 and NTFS. I have a shared home partition - but it had to be NTFS so Windows can see it. That was why the partitioning took so long. I had to make a combined partition and remount my Neon home directory to it so that it and Windows 10 could both use it. I am not sure if I want to try to do the same with Gentoo - if I bork it, I could be screwed - not in the sense of losing my data (I always back that up), but in the sense of have to reload everything again.

As a funny note, I did learn not use a linux distribution to copy files from an NTFS partition to another NTFS partition unless you have a long time. Going from NTFS to ext4 was fast under linux.
              If you take advantage of WSL2 you can access any Linux file system on Windows. I think a shared home would be a bit more problematic, but it's great for shared data drives.

I basically combined this ZFS on WSL2 guide and ManjaroWSL to access my ZFS volumes on Windows.

Comment

If you take advantage of WSL2 you can access any Linux file system on Windows. I think a shared home would be a bit more problematic, but it's great for shared data drives.

I basically combined this ZFS on WSL2 guide and ManjaroWSL to access my ZFS volumes on Windows.
                I did not think of that. It could be useful to play around with - but not for a shared home drive. Having to open up WSL2 just to get documents that (unfortunately) MS Office can read and then saving them back through WSL2 would be a major disruption, not to mention a PITA. But it could be useful to tweak configuration files with while I am in one of those long and boring...I mean necessary virtual meetings that I seem to find myself in all of the time.
                Last edited by f0rmat; 17 January 2021, 01:37 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: Gentoo Saw Total Commits Rise By 42% In 2020, Great Progress On Wayland

The pandemic didn't adversely impact the Gentoo Linux project's operations with seeing the overall number of commits grow by nearly 42% last year within the Gentoo repository. Gentoo also saw commits from 333 unique authors in 2020, up from 333 the year prior. Plus they've made other improvements too for this technical-minded Linux distribution too during 2020...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-2020-Progress
                  Wait what?

Comment

May I take my job-

Comment

Working...
                    X