Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 21.0 Adds Radeon HEVC SAO Encode Support

Phoronix: Mesa 21.0 Adds Radeon HEVC SAO Encode Support

For the "Video Core Next 2" hardware like Navi as well as Renoir APUs, HEVC "sample adaptive offset" support has landed in Mesa 21.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would this in anyway help with emby or jellyfin transcoding h265 on the fly?

Comment

this wouldn't by any chance be useful for amd gpu-accelerated encoding done by, say, steam or OBS? i think one or both used ffmpeg? i can't remember.

Comment

I don't quite understand what this does. Does it improve encoding or decoding performance, increase image quality or something else?

Comment

Estimated time for AMD to implement video codec feature X: ~3-6 years
          Estimated time for AMD to implement 4:4:4 encode: ...........

I am still hoping Intel has a good solution in 2021....

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
            Would this in anyway help with emby or jellyfin transcoding h265 on the fly?
            Jellyfin 10.7 will support h265 streaming over fMP4 and TS through HWA. Currently only the Apple devices and Tizen TV support it.

hls.js doesn't support h265 even on edge chromium, but shaka-player can do it well. Our contributor are working on jellyfin-vue to get it in.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Estimated time for AMD to implement video codec feature X: ~3-6 years
              Estimated time for AMD to implement 4:4:4 encode: ...........

I am still hoping Intel has a good solution in 2021....
              TGL is shipping with hardware AV1 encode. IMHO that's infinitely better than HEVC due to native browser support. I've also found that older AppleTV and iPads can play 1080p AV1 at a higher framerate than they can HEVC, using VLC. So for streaming, AV1 rocks. As far as hardware codec performance though, in my experience Intel's HEVC QSV/VAAPI encoder doesn't meaningfully improve vs their AVC QSV/VAAPI for quality/(bitrate*time) so I'm not expecting their QSV AV1 codec to be exactly competitive with NVENC's HEVC, even for a GTX1050.

The good thing about AMD is that, although they are always late to the table with drivers and features, they tend to keep improving their drivers and features over time. So while they may not look like the best deal when you buy them, they do present a long-term value proposition.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post

TGL is shipping with hardware AV1 encode. IMHO that's infinitely better than HEVC due to native browser support. I've also found that older AppleTV and iPads can play 1080p AV1 at a higher framerate than they can HEVC, using VLC. So for streaming, AV1 rocks. As far as hardware codec performance though, in my experience Intel's HEVC QSV/VAAPI encoder doesn't meaningfully improve vs their AVC QSV/VAAPI for quality/(bitrate*time) so I'm not expecting their QSV AV1 codec to be exactly competitive with NVENC's HEVC, even for a GTX1050.

The good thing about AMD is that, although they are always late to the table with drivers and features, they tend to keep improving their drivers and features over time. So while they may not look like the best deal when you buy them, they do present a long-term value proposition.
                The problem is that while they always add new features, often they cripple old ones, and sometimes it doesn't make sense.
                As an example, when VCE 3.0 came out, they secretly crippled the H.264 encoder to make room for the HEVC one, and kept doing so until VCE 4.0 (which brough nothing new other than faster encoding).

Neither NVIDIA nor Intel do this.

Comment

Working...
                X