Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser5 Stabilizing Its Logical Volume Functionality

Phoronix: Reiser5 Stabilizing Its Logical Volume Functionality

This New Year's Eve will mark one year since the announcement of the in-development Reiser5 file-system. While the outlook for getting Reiser5 upstreamed into the mainline kernel remains murky given the out-of-tree status of Reiser4, Edward Shishkin does continue advancing this latest Reiser file-system iteration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Reiser thread bingo card:

1. Change the name
    2. A killer filesystem!
    3. MurderFS
    4. Partition my wife
    5. The name is not a problem
    6. Compare to something else and go off-topic
    Last edited by tildearrow; 23 November 2020, 04:11 PM. Reason: forgot about partition

Comment

They should let Hans Reiser use a computer at the prison in order to finish his brainchild. Without him there is no hope for the Reiser FS.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Reiser thread bingo card:

1. Change the name
        2. A killer filesystem!
        3. MurderFS
        4. The name is not a problem
        5. Compare to something else and go off-topic
        You forgot the "free space" one: Rewrite it in Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
          They should let Hans Reiser use a computer at the prison in order to finish his brainchild.
          they tried that, but all they got was "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!".

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
            They should let Hans Reiser use a computer at the prison in order to finish his brainchild. Without him there is no hope for the Reiser FS.
            I agree, then he can be a useful and contributing member of society, instead of just occupying space in a facility, and consuming resources (food).
            It is very foolish to not make use of him, there are not many people in society who can do what Hans Reiser can do, writing file systems is very hard. It is sad to see all that potential and intelligence go to waste. Society would win by taking advantage of that.

They should put him into good use. Forced labour. Force him to write code.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I agree, then he can be a useful and contributing member of society, instead of just occupying space in a facility, and consuming resources (food).
              It is very foolish to not make use of him, there are not many people in society who can do what Hans Reiser can do, writing file systems is very hard. It is sad to see all that potential and intelligence go to waste. Society would win by taking advantage of that.

They should put him into good use. Forced labour. Force him to write code.
              I doubt creativity can be forced.

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post

I doubt creativity can be forced.
                You don't have to be so creative to code. Either just let him work on Reiser himself and lead the project and decide what to do himself, or give him specifications for something and tell him what to code.

Comment

Partition my wife

Comment

There are days that I think they should change the name because it really is a killer file system and all the MurderFS jokes get old. Then I think that forcing them to change the name over his actions isn't much different than the American Hippie Fascists wanting everything else to be renamed so they shouldn't change the name just to spite those Hippie Nazis.

That reminds me. Week before last I repaired my old 5 string bass guitar. It had a wicked warped neck and had been hanging on a stand for around 15 years. No shit. 15 years on the stand. Took it all apart, cleaned it all up, removed all the Rust, checked all the connections, put it back together, finally got some new strings for it last week, and my bridge pickup doesn't work . Looks like I'm gonna have to take it apart again and try out my horrid soldering skills.

Also kind of proud that I 100%ed my first song on Rocksmith last night -- La Grange by ZZ Top. I have Rocky Mountain Way and Blitzkrieg Bop above 95%. Yeah, I'm using custom DLC. But for some reason I cannot get my official Rocksmith USB adapter working on Fedora 33 so I'm hoping that the PipeWire changes in Fedora 34 help with that.

Also, wik. They're giving out Elite Dangerous for free on Epic Games. I honestly forgot about that game so it's great that they reminded me it exists with a free copy. I always wanted to play it. Damn is there a lot of crap to do and learn.

Comment

Working...
                    X