Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Is Working On Vulkan Support With RDMA Memory

Phoronix: NVIDIA Is Working On Vulkan Support With RDMA Memory

Well this will be interesting to see what NVIDIA use-case pans out... NVIDIA engineers are working on a Vulkan extension for making use of RDMA memory...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder that their intended use case is for this. RDMA is very useful for compute but I'm not aware were it would be useful in the vulkan context. Maybe rendering?

Comment

Originally posted by wpoely86 View Post
      I wonder that their intended use case is for this. RDMA is very useful for compute but I'm not aware were it would be useful in the vulkan context. Maybe rendering?
      Maybe for cloud gaming servers!

Comment

When I was glancing at the new headlines my first instinct was that RDMA was a typo.

GPUs talking to each other over the network without the CPU being involved while using closed source firmware, drivers, and programs. I don't see any potential issues coming from that whatsoever

Comment

This is more like letting NIC RDMA into GPU memory or letting GPU access RDMA region of the main memory.

Comment

What isn't that in the driver? Shouldn't vulkan already be able if it is in the driver?

Comment

No, it's about things like https://github.com/Mellanox/nv_peer_memory

You can render a frame with vulkan and copy it directly to the GPU without using the CPU. At least that is what I think they are trying to do.

Comment

Working...
              X