Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Saw A "Bug Massacre" This Week With Better NVIDIA Wayland Experience, Many Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The focus on fixing Wayland bugs is long overdue. Hope this continues in the next weeks like this :-) Currently Wayland support is still quite fragile, it works mostly but to crash something is too easy.

Comment

So does XWayland on Nvidia support hardware acceleration then?

Comment

To people who are new here... don't worry about what cl333r wrote, he likes hiding the truth in order to deceive people. He says "KDE Wayland doesn't crash anymore when moving the mouse" when it's really "The Plasma Wayland session no longer crashes when you hover the cursor over a Task Manager item to display a window preview when PipeWire is not installed" (https://pointieststick.com/2020/10/3...-bug-massacre/).

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
          Maybe the Ubuntu anouncment of defaulting wayland by 21.04 and the "abandonware" statement helped to focus a bit more on Wayland. The final push needed to reduce bugs.
          It had nothing to do with Ubuntu, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
            To people who are new here... don't worry about what cl333r wrote, he likes hiding the truth in order to deceive people. He says "KDE Wayland doesn't crash anymore when moving the mouse" when it's really "The Plasma Wayland session no longer crashes when you hover the cursor over a Task Manager item to display a window preview when PipeWire is not installed" (https://pointieststick.com/2020/10/3...-bug-massacre/).
            While not true, his version was funnier

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
              So does XWayland on Nvidia support hardware acceleration then?
              i don't think so - correct me if i'm wrong, but iirc it was deemed "impossible" to support nvidia in XWayland. That is pretty old info, but i haven't heard anything different in that regard yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

i don't think so - correct me if i'm wrong, but iirc it was deemed "impossible" to support nvidia in XWayland. That is pretty old info, but i haven't heard anything different in that regard yet.
                There were some patches floating around about two months ago, IIRC there was even a Phoronix article about it.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

There were some patches floating around about two months ago, IIRC there was even a Phoronix article about it.
                  Here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/..._requests/6429

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                    Maybe the Ubuntu anouncment of defaulting wayland by 21.04 and the "abandonware" statement helped to focus a bit more on Wayland. The final push needed to reduce bugs.
                    The focus on Wayland was a community decision. KDE has 2 years focus theme based on community decision, and this year was decided to focus on Wayland support for this and next year...

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      And the most important fix is:
                      Is this real? Crashing when just moving the mouse?

Amazing KDE Quality!

Comment

Working...
                      X