SiFive Is Launching The Most Compelling RISC-V Development Board Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiFive Is Launching The Most Compelling RISC-V Development Board Yet

Phoronix: SiFive Is Launching The Most Compelling RISC-V Development Board Yet

If you've been waiting to port your software to RISC-V until having a decent RISC-V system where you can develop on-host, wanting to experiment with the libre processor architecture or even use it as a daily desktop system, or just wanting a Linux system that's not x86_64 / ARM / POWER, SiFive today is announcing a new board today that is the most promising yet. The SiFive HiFive Unmatched is the best RISC-V development board we've seen to date and the closest to being the first "RISC-V PC" for Linux use.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like idea of atx connector. I've seen many AIO motherboards dying bc they cannot handle current.

Comment

If anyone's curious about performance, Sifive compares the U7x cores to the Cortex-A55 - so, fairly capable for an embedded core, but likely well behind the faster ARM options (even ones like the A72 in the Pi) at iso clock; this is a dual-issue, in-order core, albeit what looks like a fairly aggressive one.

https://sifive.cdn.prismic.io/sifive...erformance.pdf has more information on the microarchitecture if anyone's curious.

Comment

Not sure why they soldered RAM to the board instead of offer slots and just specify what the limits are. It just makes the board seem more expensive than it really is.

Originally posted by ShFil View Post
        I like idea of atx connector. I've seen many AIO motherboards dying bc they cannot handle current.
        Also just reduces complication for anyone who wants to get into the platform. The more similar it is to normal x86 PC parts, the easier it is for people to jump in.

Comment

thank god is so cheap

Comment

Is there an "arduino-like" board with a Risc-V microcontroller?

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
              Is there an "arduino-like" board with a Risc-V microcontroller?
              Maixduino is probably the closest.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Not sure why they soldered RAM to the board....
                Probably substantially reduced the certification/validation efforts, which also means reducing TTM. They know this combination works. For a board which is targeted more for the kicking of the tires and porting efforts by firms considering RISC-V the pricing and form factor (standard ITX case) should work well.

Comment

So cool, this is exactly what I asked for.

Comment

Are there any realistic MIPS options for running Linux?

Comment

Working...
                    X