Corsair Power Supplies May Soon See Sensor Support Exposed Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair Power Supplies May Soon See Sensor Support Exposed Under Linux

Phoronix: Corsair Power Supplies May Soon See Sensor Support Exposed Under Linux

Select high-end Corsair power supplies such as their RMi / HXi / AXi series are able to expose various sensor metrics via USB interface to the system. To date this sensor functionality has only worked under Windows with their proprietary software but now an open-source driver is seeking mainline inclusion for supporting these sensors under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Corsair Power Supplies May Soon See Sensor Support Exposed Under Linux

Select high-end Corsair power supplies such as their RMi / HXi / AXi series are able to expose various sensor metrics via USB interface to the system. To date this sensor functionality has only worked under Windows with their proprietary software but now an open-source driver is seeking mainline inclusion for supporting these sensors under Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...air-PSU-Driver
    TBF, there already was a(n out-of-tree) driver for Corsair PSUs: https://github.com/Benzhaomin/corsairpsu

Comment

Nice, anybody using this ?

Comment

Excellent. I miss a sort of CPU-Z and or HWinfo for Linux operating system. A similar type is the system info provided on Lubuntu.
        I've just installed CPU-X. It's a good program.
        Last edited by Azrael5; 26 October 2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Oh wow, this is an odd feeling to show up here. I'm actually that independent developer. Btw, the protocol used by the RMi/HXi PSUs is Corsair iCUE and the Corsair LINK is used by the water coolers, some fan control hubs and some AXi PSUs (but not all). It is a bit different from the iCUE one. There is no support for the AXi series, because I cant figure out what models (usb ids) exists and which one use the iCUE protocol.

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

TBF, there already was a(n out-of-tree) driver for Corsair PSUs: https://github.com/Benzhaomin/corsairpsu
          I'm aware of these (and some more). Though the trick is to write a driver that complies to the kernel standards. This patch up there is actually the 4th or 5th revision and is already outdated.
          Last edited by Akiko; 26 October 2020, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Any chance for AX1600i? Anybody tried to reverse-engineer its protocol. I have it so I can help with providing dumps and stuff, and test code.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
              Any chance for AX1600i? Anybody tried to reverse-engineer its protocol. I have it so I can help with providing dumps and stuff, and test code.
              I don't know, I have no access to this hardware. I only have access to a HX850i psu. What I know about the AXi series is, that only the AX1500i and AX1600i have the usb connector, so I'm pretty sure the driver already works for them. You only need to add the proper usb ids at the end of the driver. The other AX PSUs (like the one in the picture of the article) have a serial port connector, so no usb hid protocol and no chance to get them into mainline.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                Excellent. I miss a sort of CPU-Z and or HWinfo for Linux operating system. A similar type is the system info provided on Lubuntu.
                I've just installed CPU-X. It's a good program.
                Google is your friend. There are quite a few of these floating around. Start with i-Nex and go from there.

Comment

Unfortunately iNex, which I used years ago and was really the closest Linux equivalent to CPU-Z for Windows, is now abandonware. And CPU-X is an Appimage packaged app and I make it policy to ban Appimage programs from my computers at home and at work. Appimage is shoddy and lazy packaging. It is insecure even compared to Flatpak and Snap. And it makes the user learn how to make the app "executable". NOPE...the end user should NEVER have to become a propeller head geek to launch and use a program.

Comment

Originally posted by Akiko View Post

I don't know, I have no access to this hardware. I only have access to a HX850i psu. What I know about the AXi series is, that only the AX1500i and AX1600i have the usb connector, so I'm pretty sure the driver already works for them. You only need to add the proper usb ids at the end of the driver. The other AX PSUs (like the one in the picture of the article) have a serial port connector, so no usb hid protocol and no chance to get them into mainline.
                    Sadly mine reports as vendor defined class. It might be that they just hidden it to prevent windows hid driver to bind to it or something

Comment

Working...
                    X