No announcement yet.

It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesomeness i see. so the revenue is the factor that u measure the succes of a distro.
    u forgot about android. after all its also linux at its core. and that being the case then your "most successful" distro is not that successful.
    as for popularity statistics somehow RH/fedora is not in top 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      And you can't get enough of it. Otherwise you wouldn't be here.
      I actually hope to hear something different. And on rare occasion sometimes I do. But not often.

Comment

Well, Multiseat and multihead are ready, for announcing it?
        I did not said about xinerama....

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
          (…) wayland, which has gone nowhere in 11 years.
          OMG, what a stupid and ignorant statement. Wayland compositors are quite usable, and at some features they are already doing better than X.org. And Wayland in general evolved and improved A LOT over the last 11 years. If you don't use it and know nothing about it, then you probably should stay silent.

Comment

X.org is not abandoned, its simply mature, stable software. New releases are not critical simply because their is no huge feature that needs to be added. In fact, new releases can often introduce new problems. X.org is big for backwards compatibility and making sure old apps run well, so new releases are not all that essential.

Many cards won't work on Wayland. You seem to need a recent $2000 computer with the latest graphics adapter that cant be over 2 years old. This is a gross misunderstanding of who Linux users are, who often use Linux to breath life into older computers which still function perfectly.

The Wayland architecture commits every bad design decision that X.org avoided. Apps should not touch video drivers. Window management should be separate from the display server.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer_ View Post

OMG, what a stupid and ignorant statement. Wayland compositors are quite usable, and at some features they are already doing better than X.org. And Wayland in general evolved and improved A LOT over the last 11 years. If you don't use it and know nothing about it, then you probably should stay silent.
              I know enough about it that I know it does not work on my hardware.
              And where it works, it is pretty buggy. 11 years later ...

If wayland was the be-all-and-end-all, everyone would have been happily running it by now
              Last edited by Raka555; 25 October 2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I'm going to build a new PC onces Ryzen 5000 launches. I've used intel/nvidia for years on Linux with excellent results. But I'm fed up of not getting wayland. Maybe this is finally the year I'll switch to AMD/AMD

Comment

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
                  Many cards won't work on Wayland. You seem to need a recent $2000 computer with the latest graphics adapter that cant be over 2 years old.
                  It's always worked on my Ideapad laptop since 2014, when I paid it €800.

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post

It's always worked on my Ideapad laptop since 2014, when I paid it €800.
                    While I was able to launch wayland desktop for a while already it became usable for me only this year. And it still have some annoying issues, less than before but issues are still present. Of course that might be GNOME mutter issues as wayland implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

As in the Debian definition of "stable" (=no longer changing which is precisely what the article is about). The gaping security flaws aren't getting fixed within Xorg Server. The official fix is Wayland.
                      I know, but 2020 and it still is incomplete/a mess?
                      Just look at how messed up the protocol specification is, with many of them (important ones) marked unstable, and GNOME implementing protocols that are GNOME-only...

Comment

Working...
                      X