Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    Sounds to me like someone missed the boat
    Mining market has helped AMD sell a lot of GPU, I don't think they had missed before.

Comment

For once I thought I'd seen something before Michael on the mailing lists, so I go to phoronix to find a contact email, and poof the story is already written and up on the front page.

I don't know how you do it.

Comment

Sure, blockchain can be useful for various things, but so far the only uses that can be referred to as "big business" are subverting Chinese currency controls*, cryptolocker ransom payments, drug cartel money transfers and payments for contraband like narcotics, forged official documents and firearms that are either unlicensed or illegal for civilians to own.

*I.E people taking money out of the country, which the government heavily discourages
        While I do not believe block chain is a big deal. You talk about Crypto Currencies, not about block chain. Block chain is kind of a database that never deletes old values, just adds new. That is good for those currencies as you can track the movement of one coin for all its existence. Otherwise its just a type of database.

Comment

Sure, blockchain can be useful for various things, but so far the only uses that can be referred to as "big business" are subverting Chinese currency controls*, cryptolocker ransom payments, drug cartel money transfers and payments for contraband like narcotics, forged official documents and firearms that are either unlicensed or illegal for civilians to own.

*I.E people taking money out of the country, which the government heavily discourages
          https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...ng-blockchain/

Besides Forbes list, that you need to read before continue, S7 Group (largest domestic airline in Russia) use Sberbank (largest bank in Russia) blockchain platform (including smart contract and tokens usage) for selling tickets to corporate clients, such as JetRadar (operate as aviasales.ru in Russia). That just fresh example - announced in August, operate since September. For other examples - please read Forbes list.

Now, do you care enough to prove "only uses" part? It's certainly looks like you got this part wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
            Block chain is kind of a database that never deletes old values, just adds new. That is good for those currencies as you can track the movement of one coin for all its existence. Otherwise its just a type of database.
            This fact confuses me because crypto currencies brag about how it's all anonymous and implies there are no traces to you but if anyone knows that a given transaction/whatever belongs to you then they can track everything you did forever from your wallet, right?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              Now, do you care enough to prove "only uses" part? It's certainly looks like you got this part wrong.
              Did you stop reading at "uses" or something? Because the words right after are "that can be referred to as 'big business'" come right after that. The fact that something exists and is offered to consumers doesn't mean it's of any real relevance to consumers. The world is full of nice and failed products that have been offered to consumers.

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
              While I do not believe block chain is a big deal. You talk about Crypto Currencies, not about block chain. Block chain is kind of a database that never deletes old values, just adds new. That is good for those currencies as you can track the movement of one coin for all its existence. Otherwise its just a type of database.
              I only mentioned cryptocurrencies as this was about stuff that's actually had successful market penetration, not theoretical stuff and things that haven't had any success at gaining any kind of market penetration.

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
              There are a large number of cryptocurrencies designed to be asic resistant, and for which pure math horsepower is still a thing. Remember how the Rx480/580 dominated crypto on ethereum.

Crypto miners are some of the most demanding on earth, optimizing every cent. If AMD is seeing demand, it must be that there's profit here still. I'm going to suggest the firm is not completely stupid launching an entire new SKU into a demand void.
              Sure, there are currencies designed to ASIC resistant, but that's trough things like requiring very high memory throughput (an Achilles heel of ASICs). Etherium tried that and Bitmain has sold versions of their AntMiner ASIC miner capable of mining Ether for years at this point. Even then there are FPGA miners that are much more energy-efficient than GPUs.

It's precisely because crypto miners are so anal about controlling their costs to maximize profitability in a market with razor sharp margins that I don't believe there is a market for crypto mining GPUs anymore. In terms of efficiency, the #1 most important thing for them, GPUs are only one step above CPU miners and we both know nobody does CPU mining anymore. Only reason to keep using GPUs is either because they're already a sunken cost and only need to eek out enough profit to pay for electricity or if you're mining something so new and/or obscure they can't yet be mined with ASIC or FPGA miners yet.
              Last edited by L_A_G; 22 October 2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

This fact confuses me because crypto currencies brag about how it's all anonymous and implies there are no traces to you but if anyone knows that a given transaction/whatever belongs to you then they can track everything you did forever from your wallet, right?
                because it is not anonymous. It's pseudonymous. And everybody saying otherwise don't know how it works

Comment

I.E people taking money out of the country, which the government heavily discourages
                  It looks like you are assuming some country there.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
                    It looks like you are assuming some country there.
                    Considering it was a footnote to a sentence where I mentioned China specifically it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what country I'm talking about.

Comment

Did you stop reading at "uses" or something? Because the words right after are "that can be referred to as 'big business'" come right after that.
                      You didn't noticed "Largest Public Companies" in Forbes title or what? Because you was supposed to click on link and read at least the title. Or "Largest Public Companies" somehow is not "Big Business" enough?

The fact that something exists and is offered to consumers doesn't mean it's of any real relevance to consumers.
                      "Consumer" is individual or business (as in "consumer base")?
                      In former case - almost nothing from Forbes list is offered to individuals - it's mostly about B2B solutions or in-house deployments for own usage (like Walmart). Real world example I provided is also from B2B sector.
                      In latter case - I guess you get part about latter case by now.

Comment

Working...
                      X