AMD Linux Driver Preparing For A Navi "Blockchain" Graphics Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    Blockchain technology is useful for a lot of things other than cryptocurrency mining (which, as you say, as mostly moved to ASICs for the big players), all the way from contract validation, to health care, to voting. BaaS (Blockchain as a Service) is big business.
    Don't most of those projects just reuse Etherium or other established implementations, in which case the nodes could just use existing ASICs already optimized for them?

Comment

This is great! Hope that this way, the gamers will get the gaming cards.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
        it's useful for exactly nothing. For all the problem you think you are solving there are way better alternatives. Period.
        That's not true. I agree with L_A_G that the bulk of blockchain use is for illicit purposes, but there are plenty of problems in the world where you want traceable transactions and yet there's not a good, cost-effective, and reliable centralized solution or trusted central authority to administer it.

That said, blockchain will never scale anywhere close to what would be needed to replace cash, and I'm not sure we want it to.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          That's not true. I agree with L_A_G that the bulk of blockchain use is for illicit purposes, but there are plenty of problems in the world where you want traceable transactions and yet there's not a good, cost-effective, and reliable centralized solution or trusted central authority to administer it.

That said, blockchain will never scale anywhere close to what would be needed to replace cash, and I'm not sure we want it to.
          and how exactly is blockchain more trusted? I see it might work if you scale it globally and everybody can participate in the network, but most of the ledger projects are not that. It's "private blockchain" and that's just bullshit.

The biggest issue with blockhain is, that people can't be protected against scams. And that's a huge issue you wouldn't have without blockchain. Everything else also doesn't matter as much as you think.

People believing in blockchain just don't understand what money really is. And no, it's not some constant value object you give to or take from others. Economies based on blockchain currencies wouldn't work and everybody who understands money knows this.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Is GPU cryptocurrency mining still a thing today? (I remember the Ethereum times)
            Some people still seem to live in a FREE ENERGY economy, so I guess so. (I pay some of the highest energy prices on the planet here in South Australia however!)

I don't see a point to these cards unless their decently cheaper and/or faster at block-chain work!
            No coin miner I've read/watched has ever bothered with them! No resell value.

PS. These website ads are ULTRA aggressive! Throwing my page up and down all the time!

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
              Sounds to me like someone missed the boat and pretty badly on the cryptocurrency mining craze. Sure, people still do it, but there's boatloads of GPU hardware purchased for that very purpose in the hands of miners and, more importantly, ASIC and FPGA miners that do it in a much more efficient manner. Efficiency also matters as it's the #1 cost involved by a long shot.

For AMD's sake I hope it's just something meant for compute tasks like neural net AI, much like Nvidia's displayless Tesla accelerators, that has just been mislabeled by someone who doesn't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to the market.
              There are a large number of cryptocurrencies designed to be asic resistant, and for which pure math horsepower is still a thing. Remember how the Rx480/580 dominated crypto on ethereum.

Crypto miners are some of the most demanding on earth, optimizing every cent. If AMD is seeing demand, it must be that there's profit here still. I'm going to suggest the firm is not completely stupid launching an entire new SKU into a demand void.
              Last edited by vegabook; 21 October 2020, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Is GPU cryptocurrency mining still a thing today? (I remember the Ethereum times)
                Are you implying that other crypto currency (besides bitcoin) took over Ethereum?

Comment

Paypal just announced they are doing crypto exchanges shortly. And then there is the different Countries moving to crypto by 2025. Yes, it's still a 'thing'. Soon to be 'the thing'.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    Don't most of those projects just reuse Etherium or other established implementations, in which case the nodes could just use existing ASICs already optimized for them?
                    Almost all of the large BaaS providers (which have a high correlation with the large business cloud providers) have a mix of offerings (etherium, corda, quorum, hyperledger fabric, etc.) as their customers often already have invested in specific technologies, and the BaaS providers offer what the customer wants. Certainly where hardware ASICs are available for a blockchain it will make sense for the large BaaS providers to use them (multiple, as different ASICs may be targeted towards different hashes).

Comment

So basically they're a clone of those Nvidia mining cards. Was there ever any news on if anyone actually bought those?

Comment

Working...
                      X