Trisquel 9.0 Released - Powered By The Linux 4.15 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post

I think you are assuming it is made to meet everyone's needs which isn't true. If you are using a deblobbed distro then you should be picking hardware to fit that need not the other way around.
    I don't know what everyone else is complaining about, my steam-driven computer from 1979 works out of the box with Linux 4.15 just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
      I'd like it if my WiFi and GPU worked out of the box.
      That's on your wifi and GPU provider for not providing open source drivers; firmware; microcode; etc.

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

I don't know what everyone else is complaining about, my steam-driven computer from 1979 works out of the box with Linux 4.15 just fine.
      Glad to hear it ! My Ryzen 5 system also worked on it. Isn't it great when both old and new stuff works ?

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post

That's on your wifi and GPU provider for not providing open source drivers; firmware; microcode; etc.
        Pretty sure they have: AMD GPU drivers and Intel WiFi

Comment

Pretty sure they have: AMD GPU drivers and Intel WiFi
          AMD GPU's 99% of the time don't work on libre distros. I have tried my HD 4350; R9 270; R7 370; RX 580 and 5700 XT. I haven't found an AMD GPU yet where it works properly on Trisquel due to having closed source microcode; blobs; etc. There is no fix to be had. Options are AMD opens things up (probably never happen); switch to an Nvidia 7xx or older GPU to use the Nouveau drivers; or switch to an Intel CPU with onboard graphics. AMD's drivers are open source but sadly that is just one piece of the puzzle. I haven't tried any Intel wifi cards myself so I don't have any experience there. I chedked H-Node and all of the Intel wifi cards I saw said they didn't work under free software so either their firmware; drivers; microcode; etc are closed off.

free software project with the aim of collecting information about the hardware that works with a fully free operating system

Comment

Right, so none of my stuff works!

Comment

Right, so none of my stuff works!
              If you have a problem with that then your problem lies with the hardware manufacturers not with Trisquel. As I have said before: if anybody wants a deblobbed distro then it is up to the user to choose hardware to suit their needs not the other way around. For my Trisquel system I have gone out of my way to pick out CPUs; GPUs; wifi; etc that work with free software and will be doing so for any future hardware upgrades. It is effort and work and up to you how bad you want it.

Comment

I prefer to not handicap myself through poor performance in hardware or software. It's why I use Linux and not Windows.

Comment

I prefer to not handicap myself through poor performance in hardware or software. It's why I use Linux and not Windows.
                  I get that, everybody has their own list of priorities. For some it is free software; others it is ease of use; others it is pure performance; etc.

Comment

Does FSF approval mean anything anymore when Richard Stallman, it's very creator, has been ousted by it?

FSF has no heart nor soul, and it doesn't even have a functional brain anymore, the organization is dead; it just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                      Does FSF approval mean anything anymore when Richard Stallman, it's very creator, has been ousted by it?

FSF has no heart nor soul, and it doesn't even have a functional brain anymore, the organization is dead; it just doesn't know it yet.
                      Exactly this,

Cut the strings that bind you with everyone else. Liberalism does this and it always will.

Comment

Working...
                      X