Git 2.29 Released With Experimental Support For Using More Secure SHA-256

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.29 Released With Experimental Support For Using More Secure SHA-256

Phoronix: Git 2.29 Released With Experimental Support For Using More Secure SHA-256

Git 2.29 is now available with experimental support for using SHA-256 to increase security of code repositories over the possibility of intentional SHA-1 collisions with the current indices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this a typo? This doesn't make much sense to me:

When using the SHA-256 object format, pack checksums, index checksums, and object IDs are all generated using SHA-1 while this new format is changing it out completely for SHA-256.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      Is this a typo? This doesn't make much sense to me:
      That dreaded Sha collision again!

Comment

SHA-2? What about SHA-3 (Keccak) or BLAKE3?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          See https://github.com/git/git/blob/mast....txt#L603-L634

Comment

It didn't really mention why not more modern hashes were used. I mean, one could argue they are not wide-spread enough. But it should be easy to simply copy&paste a C implementation to the repo as fallback. Nevertheless, sha256 is a solid choice, today. Maybe it will be easier to migrate to a better solution in 10 years.

Comment

in b4 "why would anyone choose Git over Mercurial/SVN/etc.?" and "is Git easier to use now?"

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                OK, but why? Becauze 3 bigger then 2?

As developers we should keep in mind that SHA-3 does not deprecate SHA-2. I always consider using SHA-3 where I needed HMAC with SHA-2 before, but other than that, why? (I'm not a cryptographer so I'm well receptive of actual knowledgeable arguments on this)

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

It didn't really mention why not more modern hashes were used. I mean, one could argue they are not wide-spread enough. But it should be easy to simply copy&paste a C implementation to the repo as fallback. Nevertheless, sha256 is a solid choice, today. Maybe it will be easier to migrate to a better solution in 10 years.
                  One thing that really makes me feel uneasy about their choice is, SHA-2's structure is very much like SHA-1.
                  Consider the current transition progress, it is very possible that another major weakness would be found within a few years of finishing SHA-2 transition.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

OK, but why? Becauze 3 bigger then 2?

As developers we should keep in mind that SHA-3 does not deprecate SHA-2. I always consider using SHA-3 where I needed HMAC with SHA-2 before, but other than that, why? (I'm not a cryptographer so I'm well receptive of actual knowledgeable arguments on this)
                    Yeah, pretty much that, because 3 is bigger than 2.
                    I don't know much about cryptography either.

Comment

Working...
                    X