Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenBSD Marks 25th Anniversary By Releasing OpenBSD 6.8 With POWER 64-Bit Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supporting POWER9 great:

Talos™ II — the world's first computing system to support the new PCIe 4.0 standard — also boasts substantial DDR4 memory, dual POWER9 CPUs, next-generation security, and a price that won't break the bank. => That's about 6k EUR with VAT by the time it gets here and who needs this stupid crap.

How about proper support for Raspberry PI 1/2/3/4, Raspberry PI Camera, Raspberry PI touchscreens, 802.11AC wireless dongles?!

With supporting platforms like the power9 obsd will not gain popularity amongst the makers.

When a new version comes out it makes me think twice if it's worth to upgrade, then I usually rethink it 5 more times by I get to the conclusion: NO

And eventually I upgrade when I either completely phasing out the hardware or something like ACMEv1 gets obsoleted and you must.

Basic Talos™ II Bundle (Dual CPU)

Comment

Originally posted by andreyponomarenko View Post
      Let's start to fill the new hardware database introduced in OpenBSD 6.8:
      It should be noted this tool is an unofficial 3rd party port and probably not a good idea to run on production servers.

Comment

Congratulations! 🎊

Comment

Originally posted by iamjustalittlefox View Post
          Supporting POWER9 great:

I want to like them, but they charge too much with their upgrade tool for addon components like ram and their CPUs have inconsistent pricing. Using their current V2 CPU prices attached to that bundle:

Their 22 core CPU is 179.63 per core.
          Their 18 core CPU is 104 per core.
          Their 8 core CPU is 113.58 per core.
          Their 4 core CPU is 152.56 per core.

(Which is what Intel would be charging us if AMD didn't innovate.)

I can get the 8 and 18 per core differences and the 4 and 22 per core differences, but 18 and 22; 4 and 8???? Those differences are a total WTF y'all.

Comment

Supporting POWER9 great:

Talos™ II — the world's first computing system to support the new PCIe 4.0 standard — also boasts substantial DDR4 memory, dual POWER9 CPUs, next-generation security, and a price that won't break the bank. => That's about 6k EUR with VAT by the time it gets here and who needs this stupid crap.

How about proper support for Raspberry PI 1/2/3/4, Raspberry PI Camera, Raspberry PI touchscreens, 802.11AC wireless dongles?!

With supporting platforms like the power9 obsd will not gain popularity amongst the makers.

When a new version comes out it makes me think twice if it's worth to upgrade, then I usually rethink it 5 more times by I get to the conclusion: NO

And eventually I upgrade when I either completely phasing out the hardware or something like ACMEv1 gets obsoleted and you must.

OpenBSD devs implement only what they want, for themselves or what they deem important, like security fixes.

I once asked if they'd bother to add one specific kb layout to OpenBSD - response was that none among devs would use that one but if I sent them pull request with it, they'd add it (you want smth, do it yourself first, then they'll take a look at it and if it passes review, add).

So I suggest you start tinkering with Pi's and send them pull requests.
            And once done, work out FOSS 802.11 AC drivers you'd like added. Since they usually abhor binary drivers. You 'll have to reverse engineer AFAIK since pure open source AC drivers don't exist yet.

Obviously 1 or more of them are playing around with POWER hardware, thus new support.
            Last edited by aht0; 19 October 2020, 02:25 PM.

Comment

6.7 especially put a fair bit of changes into play to help to improve support for 2, 3 and 4 boards.

There is work on going on Wifi support but it's one person at the moment. I believe the Wifi chipset on the 4 board is supported. AFAIK the older boards Wifi chips are currently not supported. 6.8 also added support for the Broadcom varriant of the Wifi chipset on the ROCKPro64 board for example.

I can't say as I have ever used or seen a Pi camera or a touchscreen. None of the current developers or anyone that has contributed to date AFAIK has done anything with this hardware.

Last time I checked no one was giving a shit about popularity.

Just bitching on Phoronix won't change anything. You're welcome to contribute. Where are your diffs?
              Last edited by brad0; 19 October 2020, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X