Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KWinFT 5.20 With Aims For Better Wayland/X11 Experience Than KDE Plasma 5.20's KWin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWinFT 5.20 With Aims For Better Wayland/X11 Experience Than KDE Plasma 5.20's KWin

Phoronix: KWinFT 5.20 With Aims For Better Wayland/X11 Experience Than KDE Plasma 5.20's KWin

Following this week's KDE Plasma 5.20 release, KWinFT 5.20 has been released as the fork of KWin and other select components in aiming to offer a better experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would really like this to be integrated in KDE proper at some point. I don't want to risk my main systems with using patches to essential software, but I can see how this could really improve the KDE experience.

Comment

Probably worth a look after I give 5.20 a proper spin.

Comment

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post
        Would really like this to be integrated in KDE proper at some point. I don't want to risk my main systems with using patches to essential software, but I can see how this could really improve the KDE experience.
        I totally agree on this!

What are they waiting
        for?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I totally agree on this!

What are they waiting
          for?
          Exactly. I use my linux box for limited production and almost all of my personal business. I really would like to see this mainstreamed.
          GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

I hope Roman's work will be available just as easy as the various kwin low-latency repos for several distributions. That would be an easy way to integrate all of the neccessary bits to be just a drop-in replacement for us users.

Comment

Stealing my job! I wonder whether they are going to add exclusive full-screen (unredirection) as well...

Comment

I will try KwinFT soon. It is now available on ArchLinux in the chaotic-aur, so no need to compile it by myself.

I wonder how well it will work on Wayland. As far as I know the subsurface flickering issues are not addressed in KwinFT, but this was one of the main pain points of kwin for me (though even there it is not solved completely, Firefox basic renderer works terrible).
                Last edited by R41N3R; 15 October 2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I'm going to try it once 5.20 comes to Debian or Norbert's repos. It should be packaged for Debian too, to optionally replace stock kwin.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                    I wonder how well it will work on Wayland. As far as I know the subsurface flickering issues are bit addressed in KwinFT, but this was one of the main pain points of kwin for me (though even there it is not solved completely, Firefox basic renderer works terrible).
                    Yeah, subsurface clipping is still broken in kwin, despite that bug being closed.

Comment

Working...
                    X